Secrets

Owen's trying to get back into my good graces by bringing me apple pie on my break.  Normally, this would work beautifully, but right now, I'm inclined to let him do a little more groveling.  Partly because it's fun, but mostly because I'm still mad as all get out.

"I think it will be best if you give the whole team physicals before the commencement of our new mission, Sean.  With the injuries and stress of the summer, I want a clean bill of health from everyone before we step foot into Ashley Waters."

I'm about to argue with him when my phone buzzes.  It's Kota and I pick it up just to delay the conversation.  If he wants to know how Pookie is doing, he's just going to have to ask.

"What's up, Kota?" I ask.  Owen raises an eyebrow at me and I shrug.

"Doc, hi.  Umm, when Sang was in the hospital, what kind of tests did you run?"

I sit up straight and start pulling up her records.  They're under a pseudonym that only a few people know.  "Is Pookie alright?" I shout.  Owen shoots to standing and zeros his focus in on me.  I shoo him away while Kota hems and haws.

"Speak up, Kota.  Don't leave me hanging here."  Goodness!  He's as bad as Nathan with beating around the bush.  Spit it out already!

I feel my gaze darken as he tells me of the ordeal in the drugstore.  I pull up a series of lab reports and skim through the gynecological write up.  Owen tries to peek over my shoulder and I hold my hand up, stopping him.  He glares at me but stays back. 

"Oh," I exclaim, as I pull up her blood tests.  Those numbers are a little unusual for someone her age, but it would explain a few things.  How did I miss this?  I look at my watch and send a text to Dr. Roberts.  This is important, and he'll okay me leaving for family reasons.  I tell Kota to bring Pookie to her house and that I'll meet him there soon.

I start gathering up my things and transfer Pookie's patient file to a thumb drive on my key ring.

"What's going on, Sean?" Owen asks while I pack up the paperwork on my desk.  I'll have to finish it at home tonight so that I don't fall behind.  I grab my jacket and head for the door, ignoring his question and wanting to get to Sang.

"Dr. Green, talk to me!" he demands before I can leave the office.  I whip around and pin him down with a single look.

"Mr. Blackbourne, I have matters that need my attention right now, and you have made it perfectly clear that Miss Sorensen is none of your concern.  I'll see you in the morning, no later than six." 

I storm away before I hit the guy and rush to my car.

***

Kota asks Victor to ride in back with me and slides into the driver's seat.  I wonder what I did wrong in the store to make him want to get away from me.

"Sang, you said that you thought you saw your stepmother at the mall, right?" He asks.  He looks at me in the rear view mirror, and I think that maybe I've got it wrong.  Maybe he just wanted to drive.

"Yeah," I exhale.  "I'm not sure, but it made me scared.  I didn't see her face, but the hair and build were the same."  I push my finger to my lip as I think back.  "Honestly, the prospect of running into her scared me more than Greg and his friends."

"Shit!  Silas was gone long enough for that fucker to tell you his name?" Gabriel glares at my Superman and it makes me sad.

"Meanie, I told you, it's not his fault."  I reach up and rub my forehead.  "Besides, I got away, didn't I?" 

His frown quirks up into a mischievous grin.  "Yes you fucking did, Trouble!  Remind me to thank Nate for teaching you how to deal with asshats like that!"