Shopping

I exit the building with a renewed spring in my step. I can feel that my eyes are swollen from all of the crying, but it seems inconsequential to the hope that has taken root within me. I freeze when I see Victor and Kota leaning against the railing, and smile when I see Luke hanging from the tree behind them.

"Hiya, Cupcake!" he chimes as he does a back flip onto the grass. "How are you feeling?"

My earlier fears lessen as I take in the looks that they are each giving me. None of them look like they're about to kick me off of the team, and even through the dark circles under Kota's eyes, he looks happy to see me.

"I'm a little better now, Luke," I respond. "Meeting with the girls helped. We're going to do this again on Saturday, when Officer Shannon has the time off." I start down the steps toward them, and Victor pushes a button on his key fob, unlocking his car doors.

"If you'll allow us, Kota and I are going to take you shopping for a few things. We have to drop Luke off at the diner, and Gabe and Silas are going to join us." He brushes a strand of hair out of my face and his eyes ignite. "Would that be okay, Princess?"

I think back to what the girls had said about the pet names and a shy smile crosses my face. I nod and he grins. He opens the door for me and just as I am about to get in, I notice something in the park across the street that makes me pause.

"Give me just a minute," I call out to him as I race toward the figure hunched over on a park bench. The boys move to follow me and I hold up a hand, halting them.

"Kayli?" I ask as I approach. She whips her head up and I can see that she too has been crying. I take a seat next to her and lean forward onto my knees. She mimics my position and we both sit in silence for a minute.

"I'm sorry for taking out of there like that," she grumbles to the ground. "I don't do feelings very well."

I peek over at her and see true remorse etched across her face. "It's okay. Honestly, I don't blame you." She looks at me, questioning. "It's a lot to take in," I say, "I don't know much of the outside world yet, but I'm learning." I offer her a half smile and sit back, looking up at the clouds. "I don't think that it helps to compare your problems to someone else. I get the impression from the girls that we're all there to just talk it out, to help one another and learn how to cope."

She continues looking at me for another minute and I see her wiping at her eyes. "How old are you, Sang?"

"About sixteen," I answer. I don't really know when my actual birthday is, but I've always celebrated on October 6th. When I was around four, I'd snuck a piece of cake from the kitchen, and I'd decided that I would celebrate that day as mine.

"I have a brother who's your age. I've always had to look out for him." She reaches out to me and I steel myself not to flinch. "I can't imagine him having to go through what you have. It makes me overreact and lash out when I involve Wil in my thoughts."

I cover her hand with my own and nod. "It's okay." I pick a pen up out of the dirt and scribble on my jeans to see if it works. It does, and it gives me an idea. I pull my phone out. "Can I give you my number? If you want to talk, but don't want to go to group, you could call me. If you want."

I feel ridiculous. Of course she probably already has friends to talk to. I don't know how to do these social things. She flips her hand over and nods. "Okay, write it on my hand, and I'll put it somewhere safe when I get a chance."

I'm not sure if she's just being kind and humoring me, or if she really wants to talk, but I scrawl my number down on her skin and she smiles. A car pulls up in front of us and I see my guys race over to us. The door pops open and a gruff voice calls out, "Get in."