Change

Dear Diary,

Something's changed. It's been three days, and Owen hasn't looked at me once. I don't know what I did. Maybe it's started? Now that he's better, he doesn't need me anymore, I mean, really, who would? Everyone else is treating me differently too, and I can't seem to bring myself to kiss any one of them now.

Did I break us? I guess I always knew that they would move on, especially when they didn't have to be responsible for me anymore. Luke is the only one who has stayed by my side the whole time. I realize that I've grown too attached to the boys, and that when they inevitably leave me, it will rip my heart out. Part of me wants to push them away first, before they can hurt me, but the other, greater portion wants to cling to them with every last bit of strength I have.

Last night I dreamt that the house was in ruins. Embers flickered in every corner, and my boys all stood with their backs turned to me. I cried out with no response, and when I touched any one of them, they crumbled to dust. Once they were all gone, blown away by a fierce wind, the only things remaining were nine Volto masks and a murder of crows circling overhead, screaming my name into the growing darkness.