The Protective Tom

Começar do início

"Keep it down you two," Gregory mutters as he passed them both carrying a box of Gatorade. "Ted, the little lady just wants her friend to have a place to relax. When she starts school and has the football team trailing after her, then you'll have plenty of moments to be a papa bear."

Ephyra smiled just a little watching Gregory walk off. However, turning back to Ted, she saw that he wasn't as easily amused.

Ted opened his mouth but stopped, his eyes having rested on something above her head and behind her.

"Sorry to interrupt - neither of you was being quiet though." Superboy's tone wasn't apologetic, it just seemed solemn, if not bored.

Ephyra turned around a bit startled and he met her gaze. "Super-hearing, remember?"

A mental curse went through her head. "Right...sorry. Means you've heard anything," she says regretfully, adding a glare at Ted.

Superboy looked to Ted. "I'm sorry I hurt Ephyra. Didn't know that was possible, she's like a stone sometimes, if not a brick."

He grunted a bit, a smile on his lips, as his words earned him a sharp elbow in his side, courtesy of Ephyra.

"Wildcat...I'm not perfect. And right now, I'll never be, especially with this...Superman..." He trailed off looking for the right word.

"Debacle? Conundrum?" Ephyra supplied helpfully.

With a raised eyebrow towards Ephyra, Supernoy continued. "...issue."

He looked to Wildcat. "I just want to belong. Ephyra and the Team are great, but I live on Earth. I look like a normal human, so I'd like to fit in and understand what everyday life is. Excluding fighting the bad guys and saving Earth."

He scratches the back of the head. "I guess I'd like to find out what I'm fighting for other than the Team that's worth risking my new existence for."

Ephyra blinked. She hadn't expected a response like that. But then again, it suited her fellow clone - he was quiet, but seemed to know how to be deep and understanding when it was serious or needed.

She looked to Ted. Some hope flickered inside of her when she found none of the negative emotions in the man's eyes that had been there before. Just thoughtfulness and...more thought.

Ephyra's eyes widened a bit as she him a pleading and menacing look at the same time - how that was possible, she didn't know.

With a glance at her, the fierce Wildcat exhaled heavily and his shoulders slouched, arms falling to his sides.

When he looked back up, it was at Superboy.

He extended his hand out, and Superboy took it as they exchanged a shake.

"Alright," he said finally giving in. "You're welcome here at any time. I'm not going back on my word either - this gym is for everyone who needs helps or just wants to feel like they're welcome and belong."

The handshake ended and Ted offered a slight smile, causing one to ease its way onto Superboy's face. Ephyra even smiled widely, until Ted's smile fades and he became serious.

"But, if you go upstairs, all doors remain open. And you're not to spend time in your bedroom either! Got it!" He asked pointing a finger that alternated from aiming at Superboy to Ephyra; his eyes moving wherever his finger went.

"Got it," Ephyra replies, while Superboy only gives a firm nod.

Ted waved a hand. "Go on about you're business," he mumbled.

"I'd like to go a round or two with you if you don't mind," Superboy said a bit quickly.

Ted was caught off guard and blinked a few times before grinning. "Why not," he said turning for the ring. "Will give me a chance to give a good reminder of why you shouldn't hurt Trinity again."

Ephyra rolled her eyes, but felt ecstatic - she hadn't missed the delighted smile on Superboy's face at Ted's acceptance.

"I won't be that easy to beat," Superboy says climbing in the ring and getting in a stance.

Wildcat chuckle, "We'll see," he said crouching into a stand.

As the first body hit the mat, Ephyra crossed her arms over her chest and sighed, a smiled plastered on her face. "Males."

A/N: Hola! Sorry my update took so long. And sorry this chapter is short.

Don't worry only one more and then we'll be back to the kick-ass missions. ^_^

School has been utter hell. Between homework and sports, I'm "swamped" (don't like saying that word).

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
The next is on its way to make up for lack of posting.

Thank you all for sticking with me. And all the comments are really helpful! ^_^ I love hearing from you guys and what you think. Not to mention it provides great motivation. ^_^

Thanks for the support. I think you'll all like the next one. Superboy meets Sean. ^_^

I hope you enjoy the next one. ^_^