Saturday, Sept. 22nd: Keep Your Heart In The Sky

Heyyy I hope everyone knows why this took me so long to upload... It's been a pain in my ass trying to get this to work! But anyways here I am!!  I put a picture of Jai's dad in the multimedia-- his name is Jackson and he's the mayor of Camden!

I was awake. For the first time in what felt like a century my mind wasn’t cloudy. I didn’t have a huge weight on my shoulder and I wasn’t constantly fearing what I might do next. I was thinking rationally and wasn’t going to do random things on an impulse.

So when I lay awake at 8AM I didn’t hate the whole world I lived in. I didn’t drag myself out of bed and down the stairs to breakfast. I didn’t ignore my brother when he started talking about his friend Matt. I didn’t want to go back to my old ways after my own mother was trying her hardest all night to understand why my switched flipped in the first place.

“So there’s this bachelor raffle thing today,” My mom mentioned, passing the cereal over to Nixon. “I feel like I haven’t gotten to meet everyone in town yet. Would you be mad if I went, because I know I just got back—.”

“Are you trying to meet other people as in friends or—.”

“Oh, Isaac please.” She pushed on my shoulder, causing my brother to chime in.

“I would’ve asked the same thing, mom,” He took a sip of his juice. “There’s going to be single men who are being bought by the women of this town and you’re going to make friends?” His eyebrows raised.

“It sounds worse when you say it out loud.”

“I don’t think anyone is going to think anything of it.”

“You’re right, you’re right,” She nodded. “If your father can make friends I sure can too.”

“What about you and the Barkers?” I asked.

“Enough okay, this sound too much like high school for me,” Nixon slid out of his chair. “I’m going to my room.” He up and left the table, not even clearing his bowl and washing it out in the sink.

“What was that all about?” She wondered.

I shrugged, but from across the table I saw Trey’s eyes light up when he heard the Spiderman cartoon theme song playing from the living room. He left after scarfing down his breakfast in what seemed like one whole bite. My mom almost made him come back, but let him go watch TV anyway.

“How’s Trey’s practices going?” My mom started, giving Katherine a piece of toast.

“He told me he likes it, but he only talks about his friend Matt.”

“Matt?” Her attention on my sister, signing something to her about our dad.

“He’s like his best friend,” My eyebrows scrunched together, a little confused on what he actually was. “He’s in Trey’s class and on his basketball team, I mean I’ve never even met him before.”

“And what about Kitty? Has she talked about kids at her daycare?”

“She said something about some kid named Miles. I think if I remember right he’s Jai’s younger brother,” She nodded for me to continue. “He’s not deaf or anything, but she said that he always gives her his blue crayon when other kids take them from her.”

“Oh, well that’s not okay,” Her tone very serious. “I’m going to have to talk to Rebekah about that.”

“Mom that’s not going to change anything,” I set my fork down on the table. “People are still going to do it, no matter what anyone has to say about it.” My words reminded me of Nixon’s situation. He’s never going to stop doing whatever it is he’s doing just because someone tells him to. He’s got to want to do it for himself.