Chapter Five

Vic's POV

I groaned as I felt someone poke my cheek. "Papa, wake up," Alan whispered. "Mama's still asleep and I gotta go to school."

"Do you have to go to school?" I muttered, exhausted. I didn't sleep well on the couch, then again, I never really did.

"Well no I don't."

"You can stay home today, if Kellin gets mad don't even worry about it."

"But you guys will fight."

"Son, we'll fight about something else if it isn't about you. He's not very happy with me as it is," I said, opening a single eye.

"Papa..."

"Alan, it's fine. I'm not getting up to take you to school, have Austin take you. He's living here now anyway."

"Don't put me in a car with him."

"Why not? I thought you liked Uncle Austin," I said.

"Don't call him Uncle Austin either."

"He's your uncle, you've called him that since you were a kid," I said with a laugh and sat up, rubbing my eyes.

"Nope, not anymore. It's weird."

"How? Is it weird to call Mike, Uncle Mike now too?"

"No, just Mr. Carlile."

"You can call him Austin you know."

"I know."

"Alright, well I'm awake now, so I guess I can take you on to school. Are you ready?"

"No it's fine, I'll go back to bed. I'm exhausted."

"No, no, you woke me up now," I said. "If I have to stay awake then so do you. Or..." I trailed off and gave my son a wicked smile.

"Or what?"

"We can go get breakfast and I can tell Kellin I took you to school," I told him as I stood up. Was this my petty way at getting my husband mad? Sure. But it was also an idea to hang out with my son and see how he's doing as well as explain that my best friend would be staying with us for a while.

"Won't he get mad?"

I shrugged. "When isn't he mad?"

He nodded, "Okay let's go."

"Let me get dressed," I muttered.

"I'll wait."

"I'll go get Austin too. He might be hungry," I suggested.

"You don't have to do that."

"Nah, it's fine," I said, waving my hand.

"Papa..."

"What? Austin'll love to have breakfast with us. Besides, I still need to explain why he's staying with us."

"Papa don't."

I gave him a weird look. "What is with you lately? You act like you don't like your uncle."

"Nothing, it's fine. I'm just kidding, let's go have a lovely breakfast."

"Alright, there's my boy," I said with a grin and started up to my room.

"Yep, your boy."

I chuckled and knocked on Austin's door. "Austin, wake up and get dressed."

Austin opened the door and gave me a look, "Where are we going?"

"You, Alan and I are going to go get some breakfast."