Chapter Twenty- Choices Made, Mistakes Reversed

"Ah, Naruto!" Kakashi grinned as Naruto groaned, then proceeded to bang his head against the desk he was sitting in. "Where is your project? It's been a long time overdue."

"Here, take it and go." He groaned and handed Kakashi a stack of papers, and when Kakashi came to take them he leaned in close. "I can't believe you could get such a reaction out of Itachi. Seriously, last time I saw him smile I think I was getting slaughtered."

Naruto's spine stiffened immediately and he glanced up, fear on his face. "How do you-"

"Jairaiya Sensei needed a student, I was filling in part time to learn of his methods of writing. It worked out and I was just there. You look adorable in a hat and pajamas, by the way. Oh, where is Sasuke?" He asked all in one long paragraph and Naruto groaned again. "Why would you think I would know? I don't know where he is and I am very glad I don't know, because why would I want to know? it's not like I would ever care about that-" Kakashi waved him off. "Yeah, yeah, tell me after your guys get married, you're already complaining like an old couple."

Naruto turned a few shade of red and Gaara looked over. "Naruto, is Kakashi sensei being too familiar with you? I am pretty sure there are some laws in place if-"

"That would not be necessary. I'm pretty okay, Gaara." He yawned and stole a look at Sakura, who was talking infuriatingly with Ino about something, and then at the empty seat that Sasuke was not sitting in. What was up with him? More eyeball thingys going on?

He felt his stomach coil uneasily and laid his head down again, wishing for a Tylenol or something. Something felt really, really bad.

Even at 3rd hour with Gai the feeling didn't go away. It intensified at one point, actually, and he doubled over as five different dodge balls the weight of lead all nailed him at once. Kiba actually had the decency to look guilty, and mouthed a 'sorry' as Naruto struggled over to the 'out' zone. Neji and Suigetsu snickered and continued.

When he got back to the hotel his grandma told him he had a new apartment and he'd be given more money, so he wouldn't have to work at a job from Jairaiya. "I like working there" He responded half-heartily and didn't see the worried look Tsunade gave him. After a quick kiss on the forehead she left with the pig (she wasn't made into bacon) and her assistant.

Naruto called Sasuke.

Not expecting an answer, he was surprised when Itachi picked up. "Hello Naruto." He said seriously and Naruto felt a sense of impending doom. "How's Sasuke? He wasn't at School today." Naruto asked weakly and Itachi sighed. "What do you think? You have the link to him."

"I don't know, I've felt kind of sick the entire day. Can I talk to him?"

"He's gone." Itachi replied with some unreadable expression and Naruto sucked in a breath. "Wait, what do you mean?" He asked and Itachi sighed. "He's disappeared, and I don't know where he went...actually I think I know where he went, but I really hope this wouldn't have happened. Really, who was I fooling."

"Wait wait wait. Itachi, I don't understand a single thing you're saying. Please explain. What's going on?" Naruto asked again, confused as hell. Itachi sighed. "You know that one time when Sasuke was taken forcibly to my...employer?" Naruto nodded, then realized Itachi couldn't see that.

Somehow Itachi seemed to see and continued. "Well, my employer said some things to him and gave him a phone number. It seems he went to pursue these truths. Naruto, after this phone call I will disappear as well. Please don't come looking for either of us. If the link's broken from the contractor's point the person bond by the contract will not die, but suffer grieve for awhile. You'll be okay."