Chapter 16

It's okay, it's all my fault..... I wasn't a good girl.....

Angelica's Pov...

"Angel, it's okay to tell me. Daddy's here." I chuckled, help. He took my hands in his, and that lovely smile did not go unnoticed.

"Such care.... so different from him." My fingertips touched his lips, and slowly, it turned into a frown.

"You're not talking about Chris, are you?" He asked, worrying. I nodded.

"There was a man in my life a long time ago. I don't remember his face, but I can't forget his voice. At times he was kind, though whenever I did something wrong, it changed—he changed. His voice was very boyish, very light to the ears, alluring you every time he spoke. That same voice haunts me even in my peaceful dreams. I don't remember his face, I can't remember his first name, I can't remember the home I grew up in. I don't remember my school or friends because I was always home, I was always in that home. He was my father. I think the house I grew up in was in the middle of nowhere—NO! It was. It was dark; almost all the time, the sun wouldn't shine every day as if in that specific spot, the light was avoided. Though things did seem to change when I was allowed to go to school; I was filled with light, smiles, and different scents. I remember smelling sweet cherries from a girl who let me borrow her jacket, only to go back into that darkness to smell burning flesh. My flesh."

"Your flesh!" He sits up angrily. Ignoring him, I continued.

"Yeah... M-my hair is naturally curly; I hated how it curled into deep spirals every time I bathed. My hair represents my mother, who passed away, thanks to him. He knew mom was allergic to strawberries and would secretly give it to her. She married a monster and then became afraid to say anything to anyone. Sometimes I'd cry to her, telling her that Daddy slapped me, but her response was only, "Because he loves you." I never fell in that state because I knew better; my education knowing what domestic violence was, I knew what to look for and the signs, I knew. When I ask her to do something about it, she became angry. "Suck those crocodile tears up and fix your face before he sees you," she'd say when I cried. I had no choice but to obey her since I was never a child to defy anyone, not even when I was disrespected. I was simply a good girl who forgave and forced to forget."

"One day, I found him in the kitchen baking something, I knew it was strawberry chunks going inside the batter, but I thought it was for me or someone else. I never knew his true nature until I came downstairs and watched her swollen face puff up, red eyes crying for her shot, and her hands on her throat trying to gasp for air. Mom had a terrible allergic reaction that could kill her if she didn't get treated immediately. She laid there, barely breathing. Her eyes rolled back forever, and I looked up at him, fearful. He did it, and I knew she was allergic but that was overkill, he put to much of something for her to die right there! A disgusting scent of cigars filled the kitchen; he sat on the table, watching her in agony with a dark expression. When she finally died, he looked at me and smiled. That horrible voice whispered, "We're finally together, my love."

"My love. That was that special name he called her. I swear it was my imagination, but he looked crazy; his eyes were low as if he was on drugs, calming him down. Killing her calmed him down. I was so scared to even tell anyone that he killed my mother. When the judge asked me what had happened, I lied through my teeth. I played the innocent card and lied for that monster. He got off freely, Aiden, he's free because of me."

"Things went bad when he came to my room drunk. He barged into my room with scissors yanking my hair and cut it off. I told everyone it was my new style; it was ugly. I hated short hair; long hair suited me the best. I could hide behind my hair. As it grew, I grew up to look like my mother, and he hated it. I never knew where his anger for her came from, but it was reflected toward me, now."