Chapter 21

Vincent had been so good to me.  He had treated me like a queen while we were on his plane and I have to admit but I could definitely see myself falling in love with him.  But because of everything I went through with James, I was going to take this slow.  I mean I did have six months, right?

I felt my face heat up as I recounted the memories of our time in bed together.  I would have never thought there could be so much pleasure in foreplay but Vincent showed me a whole other side to intimacy that I'd never known.

He was caring and attentive to my needs and he truly seemed interested in what I had to say.  Nona was the only other person to make me feel like I mattered.  Even James had a way of making me feel invisible while in plain sight.

I stared at Vincent, out of the corner of my eye, just taking him in and admiring how beautiful and handsome he was.

He had taken a page out of my book and changed his button down dress shirt to a soft, black V necked sweater, with the sleeves pushed up to his elbows.  Along with his fitted black dress pants and dress shoes he was still a force to be reckoned with.

I loved how the V in his shirt accentuated his beautifully formed chest and the way the sleeves and the rest of the shirt fit his ridiculous body left little to my imagination.

I had come to appreciate the smattering of stubble he had on his face.  Normally a man with facial hair was not my type but he made it look good and it just added to the roughness of his persona.

Vincent's eyes were all together something else as well and I couldn't help but get lost in them when he would look at me.  I honestly had no idea where this was going but I was in it for the ride and I couldn't wait to see where it would take me.

I had always leaned towards men of stature and Vincent Siranni was a big man, a man with a presence as big as he was.  He was formidable and daunting, to say the least, but I imagined that as time would go by and we got to know one another better, he would let me get away with things that he would normally not tolerate.

We had been on the road now for about twenty minutes when I realized that we were on a winding road, taking us up what I believed was Mt. Etna and it was breathtakingly beautiful, what I saw.

Leaning over to Vincent, I asked him if he could crack his window a bit.  He was puzzled by my request but granted it for me anyway.  He opened it about half way and as soon as that ocean breeze hit my face, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

My senses were on overload.  I could smell the salty ocean air as it whipped past my hair, swirling around inside the car and then back out again.  I could smell fish and other things from sea as well as the scent of fresh baked goods floating on the breeze.  It was calming.  That was the only way I know to describe it.

When I opened my eyes, I could see Vincent's intense stare burning through me.  "Thank you" I murmured to him.  "What were you doing?" he asked, genuinely wanting to know.  I smiled over at him while preparing my answer.

"Nona always told me that if you close your eyes, take away one of your five senses and let the others work for you, that you can pick up things you wouldn't have noticed before.

Like the salt from the ocean.  The breeze carried it and brought it to me, I could smell the fish and other sustenance that had been gathered from the sea today and the smell of fresh baked bread."

I tested his look, to see if he got what I was saying but I could see it just wasn't making the connection so I figured I would help him.

"Roll the window down again, please" I asked, giggling at the look I was receiving.  When he'd complied, I told him to close his eyes.  That request gave me a look fought with doubt and cynicism. 

"Please" I whispered, toying with the hotline to his groin, knowing he couldn't resist that certain look.  "I'll make it worth you while, Vincent."  His eyes darkened, I noticed, when I called him Vincent.  He seemed to like it better than Vincenzo and so did I.

Sighing and mumbling to himself, he closed his eyes for me and I began.  "Turn your head towards the window a little" was the first thing I said.

"Now, take a deep breath and tell me what you smell" I was enjoying watching this tiny transition as I could see the doubt roll off his face.

"I smell the sea.  You can smell how salty it is and almost taste it from the breeze."  His answer was impressive.

"Go on" I gently persuaded.  He adjusted his body as he prepared his next answer.  "I can hear the birds calling to each other as they get ready take slumber, also I can smell zeppole and freshly baked bread."  He got it.

While his eyes were still closed, I reached over and caressed his face until he opened his eyes again.  They were smoldering, searing and intimidating all at the same time.

"Thank you" he said softly.  I furrowed my brow.  "For what?" I asked curiously.  "For making me experience that and see it through your eyes.  As long as I've traveled up this mountain, I have never once taken the time to do that."

Pulling my hand down to his mouth, he smashed his lips violently to my knuckles.  "You're welcome" I breathed, trying to wrap my mind around Vincenzo Siranni, the man that I would be taking as my husband.

Sighing and feeling perfectly content for the first time ever, I clasped his hand in mine and laid my head on his shoulder, surmising that I could have never known how differently my life would turn out and how completely happy that made me feel.

Dragging me from my thoughts was Vincent's lips to my forehead and an announcement.  "We're here, tesoro.  We're home.  Welcome to Villa Clarissa" he said with a smile.