Chapter 8

Vincenzo paced back and forth waiting for Abrielle. She was being escorted by Domenico and then he was taking Calliope out, to try and get to know her better.

There was a soft rapping at the door and then it opened. The whirring of Abrielle's motorized chair was the only noise to be heard.

"Ms. Accardi?" Vincenzo said. Abrielle nodded in acknowledgement. "Vincenzo Siranni at your service." Vincenzo was polite, suave and charming.

"Mr. Siranni, I know who you are and I know why we are here. Let's get down to business, shall we?" Abrielle said, smiling at him.

Nodding, Vincenzo unbuttoned his suit jacket and sat down next Abrielle, ready to begin their talks regarding a certain Calliope Mancini.

"Now, my granddaughter has no idea the stupid idiot that her father is, or what is going to be her life from tonight on.

I know that you are doing this to secure your place in the syndicate but I am doing this to get my sweet Calli out from under his oppressive thumb.

I love my son, but he and that idiota he's married to, have no idea the treasure they have in Calliope.

She's loyal, she's kind, she has a good heart that has been taken advantage of before and she's feisty as hell.

All I'm asking for is that you treat her right. Please don't step out on her or lie to her. I am signing this contract in good faith and for her sake.

Please don't make me regret this, Vincenzo. I knew your mother and father and I am well aware of how they raised you. I don't care what the papers say.

Now, is there anything you wish to ask me about Calliope? I will tell you as much as I can. She's an open book, really, and a sweetheart." Abrielle was sniffing her tears back now.

Sliding forward, Vincenzo took the older lady's hand in his and brought it to his lips. Raising his head, he saw the sincerity in the woman and promised that he would never hurt her intentionally.

"She had a previous boyfriend?" Vinny asked. Abrielle nodded and smiled. "She thinks I don't know, but she fell in love with her bodyguard, James and he hurt her.

She gave into a moment of weakness and told him that she loved him. She slept with him and two hours later, she busted him at her father's club, with a showgirl between his knees.

I didn't think she would ever recover but she did. It took her two years just to speak civilly to that bastardo but she did it and with class."

Vinny took into account how hurt she'd been and this was another good reason to not hurt her further.

"What is her favorite color?" he asked the grandmother. "Pale pink" her nona answered. "Favorite flowers?" Vinny questioned. "Daisies" was the answer.  "Any color."

Her favorite food was Chinese, her favorite movie was Steel Magnolias and her favorite pastime was reading and listening to old music.

Abrielle said that she really liked Dean Martin, Frank Sinatri, Sara Vaughn, Billie Holiday and the like.

Vinny felt like he'd gotten a whole syllabus on Calli but he was grateful for it and would use it when he could. He had to make her see that she was important enough to find out this information.