Chapter 14: Fight the Freeze!

"Pluto!?" I burst out, "Are you kidding me!? Rallix stuck that damn portal all the way out on the edge of the Solar System!?"

"Yeah…" admitted Zoey, "I suppose that is a bit of a problem…"

"A bit of a problem!?"

"Why?" said Kevin, completely clueless, "What's the problem?"

"Pluto is literally billions of kilometers away from the Earth!" I told him, "Do you have any idea how long it would take to get that far!? We'd be dead long before we got anywhere near there!"

"Then again…"

Kevin and I both turned to Zoey.

"What?" I asked, "What is it?"

"Kevin pointed out that we're already close to Jupiter right?"

"Yeah," I said, "So?"

"So Jupiter is only just over 600 million kilometers away, and if we got here in about—" She checked her cell phone. "—2 minutes, then we should be able to make it to Pluto in—" started pushing some buttons on her cell phone, making some sort of calculation, "—a little under 20 minutes."

"Are you serious!?" I said, my eyes widened and my mouth hanging open.

"Give or take," she said, "But yeah. That's about right."

I rushed over to the front seat.

"Well alright!" I said, "Let's kick this sucker into high gear and get our asses to Pluto! We've got a world to save!"

I started pushing buttons, twisting knobs, and pulling levers, getting ready to take off.

"Wow, David," said Kevin, laughing, "You sure seem excited right now. Any particular reason that this whole ordeal's snapped you out of that depression of yours?"

I paused.

Kevin's right, I thought, What's been coming over me? This is the most life-jeopardizing situation I've ever been in, and I'm actually enjoying myself for once!

Hell, I'm not complaining. I have no idea what it is about this mess that's got me so psyched up. But if this is what I've been looking for to make me happy, I may as well just go with it.

Eventually, I just shrugged and said, "I dunno."

With that, I turned one last lever and thrust the wheel forward, sending us straight past Jupiter in a matter of seconds and shooting off towards Pluto.

Within about 20 minutes, just as Zoey had predicted, we were there.

I brought us to a stop, and we simply stayed there, hovering just over the giant floating rock. And just beside it was our destination: the portal.

"Well, this is it," I said, "Are you guys ready?"

"I was born ready!" said Kevin, "Let's go kill Rallix!"

"Alright," I said, "I'll bring us in."

I gently pushed the ship forward, straight toward the portal.

FZZSSSSSSSS!

"What the…!?"

We were suddenly thrust backwards, repelled from the portal.

"Hang on."

I pressed the few buttons next to the left monitor displaying what was in front of us. Something was different about this portal. Normally, these portals were vortexes of pure white energy, but this one seemed to have some sort of translucent pink pigment.