Chapter 12: Grave Danger

This dimension was by far the most foreboding one we had yet been to. Once we recovered from the fall through the portal straight to the hollow—soon to be desecrated—ground, we knew that Rallix was through playing games. This was the place he intended to mark with our deaths.

A fitting course of action to take in a graveyard.

This was not the kind of graveyard we always saw back home—the kind of graveyard where the souls of the dead actually looked like they were at peace, riddled with flowers and neatly placed headstones honoring their life accomplishments, the sun shining on the fields like a manifestation of a brighter world that they were entering into. This was the opposite.

The sun was completely sealed off, blocked by a thick barrier of clouds—big clouds, waiting to strike the place with a downpour of rain and a barrage of lightning. Even less at peace was the ground around us. It was completely sealed in by a 10-foot fence; not a soul could get in or out—dead or alive. The ground was rough and unstable. Only small patches of grass made it seem even remotely appealing. And the headstones were crooked and worn. We could practically feel the restless souls wandering the place. But what they wanted, there was no telling.

"Okay," said Kevin—even he was shaken up by the appearance of this place, "Am I the only one who's creeped out here?"

"Just relax," said Zoey, who seemed to have trouble taking her own advice, "Don't be scared. That's just what Rallix wants."

"So what do we do?"

"Well, we're sealed in, and the portal is nowhere to be found," I pointed out, "So we're probably gonna have to unlock it somehow like before."

"By defeating whatever's waiting for us here?" verified Zoey.

"That's right."

"Ugh, perfect." said Kevin.

"Well, what did you expect, Kevin?" said Zoey, "We've faced enemies in every dimension so far. Did you think Rallix would decide to just take it easy on us?"

"No," he said, "But I do have an idea what he might throw at us."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Graveyard, lost souls, an inscription saying that enemies are gonna come at us in groups? What the heck do you think?"

"Wait, where did you find that inscription?" Zoey interjected.

"Down underwater," I told her, "Where Kevin hatched that little plan of his."

"Yeah, uhm, I kind of meant to ask about that," Zoey turned to Kevin, "How exactly did you make that ship explode?"

"I used the match you gave me."

"Wait," I interrupted, "Zoey, when did you give him that match?"

"I gave them to him when you were unconscious up in the North Pole," she explained, "He wanted to use it to start the fire that warmed you up, but I told him it'd be best to save it."

"Well, it looks like that was a pretty good call."

"Still," Zoey turned back toward Kevin, "how does one match blow up an entire ship?"

"Did you not see their firepower?" said Kevin, "You know how much gunpowder they would need to overpower someone like that?"

"You threw it in the powder room?"

"Yup."

"Not bad," I lauded dryly, "I guess he can use his brain after all."

Zoey and I both snickered.