Can I adopt you.

CHAPTER 6

   Demi's POV   

    I walked up the stairs and stopped in front of the first door on the right. I listened. Nothing. I knocked. Nothing. Opening the door, I saw a tiny generic room with just a tiny picture tacked to the wall. It was a picture of a woman who looked exactly like Mac, except she had blue eyes. This must be her mother. As my eyes drifted towards the bed I saw a tiny bundle wrapped in a thin blanket. It looked like it was shaking. 

    "Hey, Mac?" I said and the bundle shifted, a tiny head cautiously coming out of the covers. Her eyes were bloodshot and her nose was red. I walked over and sat on the bed. "Oh honey, what happened?" Forgetting that she wouldn't speak, I put a hand on her back. She just sniffled and more tears ran out of her eyes. I pulled her onto my lap and hugged her feeling her cuddle into me a bit. Her breathing was hitched and unsteady. She just kept crying, the small sobs breaking my heart as she fisted my shirt in her tiny hands. Then, all of a sudden, she froze and scrambled off my lap rubbing her eyes and sniffling. 

    "So Mrs. White told me about you.." I began. Her eyes welled up with tears again and she looked down at her lap. "I was wondering if I could ask you something." 

I was given a tiny nod. 

"Do you think... I mean, would you be okay with.. me adopting you?" 

She slowly looked up at me. A ghost of a smile was on her lips. Another nod. 

"Okay then! Let's pack up your stuff and get you out of here!" She got up and began to pack her clothes. I noticed it was only about three outfits total. We totally need to go on a major shopping trip. I took the picture off the wall, and saw that it was folded in half. On the other side there was a man carrying Mac. He was tanned and had curly sandy hair, He had Mac's exact color eyes, except they were solid and cold. His smile didn't reach his eyes. A chill ran through me as I realized Mac looked alot like she did now, so this picture couldn't have been that old. The picture was snatched from my hands by Mac. She shoved it into her bag and looked up at me, waiting with wide, cautious eyes. I picked up her bag, took her hand and walked downstairs. 

     We came into the sitting room and the girls were there. 

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" Deena yelled. "Out of all of us you pick the freak." 

I looked at her. "She is not a freak. Do not say that." I added a nice bit of venom in my voice but resisted screaming at her because she was only 6 years old. I walked into the office and signed the papers. Mrs. White signed them too and said goodbye to Mac. I promised to come back and visit once we got settled. She had smiled and said that she would like that very much. 

I walked out to my car. Mac looked unsure as for what to do, I opened the car door and lifted her into the booster seat I had installed. Mac just stared at me. 

"Okay well feel free to sleep or do whatever you want. There's snacks in the cubby along with water and apple juice. If you need to use the bathroom just tap me or get my attention." I said, Mac just nodding along with my words. This no speaking thing was really something I would have to get used to. I got into the front seat and began the long drive back to my house in LA.