Creatures of Vampire Blood

Benji was already out of breath by the time they turned the next corner. His started legs wobbling the minute he stopped, and he dropped to his knees. Silas ran past him and didn't look back. He heard Silas scream suddenly having realized he had left his friend, then came back to help him up.

"We do not have time for this. Get on your damn feet."

Silas propped him against the wall, and Benji said between pants. "My feet can't move any more, and we are lost."

Silas' brows darted up, and he said, "Like I care if we are lost. There is a fucking wolf after us."

"It looked more like a cat," Benji corrected.

"Like I care what it looked like. The point is, it's coming after us, and it's going to fucking jump our bones."

     Silas wasn't calm, not that Benji was, but Silas was freaking out on a different level. He had redone his hair in a frenzy, removing the ruffle in it and putting it back to get a tighter hold. His eyes were also glued in the direction from which they had come, and he hadn't stopped jogging on the spot. Silas had a stamina he would die for.

     Suddenly he stopped and tugged on Benji's shirt. "We need to leave now. I can hear it."

"No way. I can hear-"

Benji hadn't finished his sentence when something long and white like an arrow stabbed the wall close to his cheek. His eyes widened at the shard, and he gripped it, cursing when the ends cut his skin.

"Benji, what's that?"

He broke it out of the wall with his sleeve covering his hand, having forgotten the object had tried to stab him. How the object came about didn't even cross his mind as he was transfixed by it.

"It's glass. Its body is pretty rough especially the... Oh shit! I know what beast is after us."

"Well, which one is it?"

     Suddenly more shards flew, and one even stabbed him on his shoulder. Benji and Silas didn't bother to look in the direction it had flown from before they ran. However, before they could escape into the next alley, a wall of fire blocked their path.

Benji stiffened at the sight of it, it wasn't an illusion. He could feel the heat from the flames, and they burned the usual orange as they led to a Charmer who had his hand on the wall.

     The frowning, bored looking man cursed loudly then pulled away, leaving the wall of fire to carry on burning which ruined their chance of running.

"Benji, what do we do now?" Silas whispered, shaking slightly.

"Don't ask me. I'm just as confused and scared as you." He winced, clutching his shoulder that still had the shard in it. Benji didn't need to look to know blood was spewing from it.

"He's a Charmer, right?"

"I don't think any other being in this world can do this." He was already getting tired of Silas always coming back with a different question.

What the boy should really be asking was how the hell were they going to get out alive!

     Swallowing, he winced from the pain in his shoulder as he took a step forward. The bored man instantly brightened up, and he hushed his pet who hissed. Benji took a deep breath and asked, "Why are you chasing us?"

"Well, you ran. I thought you had done something bad." The man smirked, his fingers playing with his beard.

Benji raised a suspicious brow. "Really?"