Creatures of Strength

"Please be straight with me. What's going on Wyatt?"

     After Wyatt had turned the vampires over to a strict looking woman named Collie, he led Benji down the busy street to a shop which he left Benji outside of so that he could talk to whoever was inside. Benji's stomach had been grumbling since he lost the smell of the vampire's blood. He didn't even know how he could drink the dead thing's blood when it was dead. Was he that hungry or was their blood just that good?

As Wyatt came out of the shop with a bag of coins, Benji caught sight of himself in the glass window and gasped, taking aback. Other than the fact that his blond hair was a huge mess on his hair, his normal warm chocolate eyes were gone. A familiar crimson red pair were present, and Benji could swear that  his reflection winked. His eyes had dark circles under them, and his cheeks had sunken, looking almost bony.

"Wyatt-"

The man looked down at him when he turned. Wyatt didn't tower over him, but he was more fit than Benji was. A few strands of his brown hair fell over his face, and he raised a full brow up.

"What did you expect? You haven't eaten. You are gonna weaken soon and trust me, you won't like what might happen."

"What?"

Wyatt shrugged. "The restraint you have on your fang now would dissolve, and it could take over your body and run rampant. That is why people have got to be careful when they are stealing power from beasts. Unlike when you take them from a person born with power, there are consequences. Fangs require blood, Hounds need sex, Bloodboars need raw meat, and the list goes on."

Benji stared at him, speechless. No one told them about the consequences. When he read the book Reina had given them, consequences weren't there.

"If it's like this then I don't want any runes. I don't want any of it," he said as he dragged his sleeves up so he could see the black ring tattoos. The lower one above his wrist glowed, and Benji frowned. "How can I take it off?"

"Too late," Wyatt said dryly then continued to walk down the street. He waited until Benji caught up with him before he continued, "The runes are etched in too deep, and you've already got a beast in you. Silas might be the only lucky one, but he got his runes at the same time as you."

Benji's shoulders sank as he tried to weave through the crowd at the market. There were small shops like tattoo studios, barber shops and many more along the line. Benji even noticed the boutique they had been to when Reina let them out.

They walked on silently mostly because Benji felt too defeated to say anything more. He had a bad feeling that this place would change him. He could feel it deep inside, and it kept showing itself by making Benji's eyes linger on people that walked past him.

"I hate this."

"Hate Reina," Wyatt said, tossing the sack in the air and catching it.

The man took him down another path with fewer people and Benji instantly went alert when he sensed them watching him and Wyatt.

"Why would I hate her?" He tried to act casual, glancing quickly at Wyatt to see if he noticed the people staring.

"You're here because of her. If Reina didn't want to be a witch, you wouldn't be."

Benji stared at him now. "What do you mean?"

"Easy. Reina went to a Seeker and asked if she was ever going to make it as a witch. The woman was like yes but for it to happen, four people from the other world must come to ours. It didn't matter the gender, but four of them were gonna be the start of an effect that would test her long enough to see if she was worthy of being a witch."