Creatures in Training

The people of Omar had been up on their feet setting up booths, decorating and carrying items from one step to another. Edgar had heard the festival was mostly going to be on the third step and a small area of the fourth. Before disappearing, Reina had warned that they should all be on their guard but still enjoy the festival. Even though she had said it rather lightly, Edgar could still sense the worry coming from her.

     It had gone dark earlier than Edgar had expected. He had taken a light nap after Silas had told him about the training. Taking a quick shower, Edgar enjoyed the solitude as he rested his forehead on the bathroom wall. His body felt heavy for some reason, and he tried not to look at the wall he had bashed in.

     Things were changing around him. Benji's need for blood, the odd power fusing inside him, this whole fucking world. They were freaking him out, and he didn't know how to react to them. The only thing keeping him from losing his cool was Silas. He liked how he was still normal, and no beast had tried to influence him.

     Edgar took a deep breath and closed his eyes, humming quietly to himself so his mind would slip to that place he hated. The next time he released his breath, he found himself exactly in the rune's new home. His dad's prison for two years before he died. The walls were as white as he had seen them that day. Edgar wasn't one to dwell on the past; mostly because it slowed him down. He hated it and always wanted the past to remain the past. However, just because he ignored it, didn't mean that it was gone.

Now, he was forced to look at it every day.

"Are you going to keep standing there or are you going to approach me? Ridiculous humans. Always stealing from people."

Edgar was knocked out of his thoughts when he heard a gruff voice coming from one of the metal doors in his father's ward. He approached it hesitantly, reaching to pull the small slot open.

"You can be quicker than that boy." The voice teased. Could it be the bloodboar? How come it didn't sound like him?

Edgar pulled the plate open and his brows bumped into a scowl when he saw the person inside. Just like Benji's Fang, the beast had taken Edgar's form, even his new hairstyle, though its eyes still glowed yellow. When the creature grinned, Edgar could easily make out long canines.

"Like what you see?" The monster snarled. It walked closer to the door, and Edgar swallowed, hoping the beast wouldn't find a way to attack him. "If you grow a beard, you'll look a proper man."

"Excuse me?"

The beast huffed then crossed his arms over his chest. "Call me Kais. Many beasts that communicate have names."

That explained why he talked like that and why he had a name. Benji's fang probably didn't need to communicate.

"Do you have your own form?" Edgar already knew the answer to that, but he had to be sure.

Kais shrugged. "Yes. If you want to see it, all you have to do is touch me. I can show you our true power."

As tempting as that sounded, Edgar knew the beast was tricking him. Reina had warned them not to get in contact with the monsters until they had full control of them. At this point, control over the bloodboar was pretty much none existent and keeping the door locked was the best way to keep him in check.

Taking a deep breath, Edgar willed the nervousness and fear he felt for the beast to go away then copied the bloodboar's expression. "I know if I let you out, you'll just run rampant. There's already a slight problem in town so I don't wanna add to that cup of tea. Why don't you tell me what you are good at so I can see what I can do with you?"