Creatures Of Blood

Wyatt took them through streets filled with houses that looked almost the same. They passed by a couple of small shops packed with people, men and women on horses galloping to where they needed to be. Benji had even seen someone pass him riding a Minos. A demon bull with a spiked ball at its tail and spikes on its hooves. The beast's pair of eyes gleamed a familiar silver, staring right at Benji before it snorted and the light dimmed from its eyes.

     After having been to three cities, Benji had noticed the lack of vehicles. There weren't any cars or motorcycles - although he had seen bicycles. As far as transport went, there were mostly horses and beasts.

"You people walk a lot here," Silas said as he watched the minos go with its owner. "Or you ride scary animals."

"Yeah. You guys have those car things right?" Wyatt gave Silas a look before leading them down a corner into a place that looked an awful lot like an alleyway. "We can't use machinery that might be harmful to the atmosphere because it will weaken the white witch and if that happens, everyone will suffer the consequences."

"So, everyone is connected to her or...?" Benji came to a halt when the man in front of him did.

"In a way we are but in a way we aren't," he answered vaguely, then gestured with his hand for them to remain put. He continued in a hushed tone as he reached for his firearms underneath his white T-shirt, "This world is filled with Magic. It's in the air, it's on the earth, it's everywhere. But for that to happen, my mother must be in this world."

     The alley was eerily silent except for the occasional drips from a split pipe Benji had seen when they had turned and Edgar's oddly loud breathing. Wyatt took a step forward, and Edgar asked before he could say a word, "What's going on?"

     Wyatt glanced at him with a look but kept a finger to his lips, warning them to be quiet and Benji frowned in confusion, though, he didn't say anything and played along, following closely behind Wyatt as he kept the gun he held at a distance from his body.

"If she's not here, the world might die. The key word there is might. Honestly, no one knows what would happen if she were to leave. However, she is the key to power. And not just these tats on your body, I mean ultimate power."

"And you're telling us this because?"

Silas' question was exactly what Benji had been thinking; since he had been bitten by the fang, he had been wondering why the witch had given them the runes. The reason everyone said out loud was protection, but Benji had a feeling there was more to it than that. There was something they were hiding. Something that meant that the witch had to give them the runes before disappearing. And that something, Benji was going to get it out of Wyatt.

"Because I want you to know." Then he turned to look at the three of them. "And I hope you get that twisted idea that all you are going to have here is fun out your head because the moment you start adjusting with your beast, it's going to be a reality."

Wyatt rushed into the next corner before any of the boys could move and when Benji took to his feet, a breeze brushed passed him and he heard someone scream behind him.

"Silas!" Edgar shouted just as something pushed the curly haired boy against a wall. Silas' head smacked against it and he gave out a helpless grunt.

Benji stopped in his spot and his heart sped up when he heard a couple of gunshots echoing in the corner Wyatt had entered.

"What is going on?" Benji asked himself out loud as he turned to see the thing that had run past him and was currently holding Silas against a wall.

     It was still bright afternoon, yet the shades from the rooftops of the tall apartments made the alleyway look dark and frightening. Benji hadn't even bothered to ask why Wyatt had taken them through that route. Sadly, now wasn't the time to be thinking about that.