Creatures at Camp

Summer camp could mean a lot of things. It could be a camp for people his age to have fun and do fun activities away from home. It could be a camp for adults who just sit around a camp to talk about the weather and debate politics. Or it could be school, hidden behind the pretty name called Summer camp. However, he wasn't excited about either ones.

"Why summer camp?" Silas whined, burying his head into the book he was reading. He couldn't concentrate knowing he was going to be away from home, work and friends for a month.

Why? Why summer camp this year? What good could come from that?

"Quite your whining." Ava glared at him, her legs crossing and uncrossing. She was definitely just as annoyed, but she was more composed than he was.

"Mum, we can still turn back." She leaned forward in her seat, her short blond hair falling over her shoulder.

Mum looked back at the both of them from where she sat in the passenger's seat and smiled weakly. "Too late for that, love. Your dad's already paid. Think of the good here. You get to be away from us for a month."

"That I don't mind. It's the fact that I don't get to see my friends too. This ain't fair. I want to go back. Dad!" She glanced at her Dad with hopes he would have a change of heart, but he was as stiff as always.

"Nothing I can do dear. Your mum's word goes."

"Gosh." Ava sighed with exasperation then leaned back in her seat.

Silas gave his elder sister a weak smile, but she only looked away from him. Ava was mad and not the kind he liked which used to be in his favor.

Biting his lips when he felt the need to complain, he knew his parents weren't going to budge. Ava was only going to get mad if she had to listen to his whiny voice so he stayed silent and waited until they got to their destination.

...

Nothing about it was nice.

Nothing about the camp could even give them a tiny bit of hope that they were going to like it. The only building in the area looked like it had been built in the late 2000s and both Silas and his sister had already been assaulted by mosquitos. In fact, Ava's started begging all over again.

"Ava!" Their mum frowned at her as they walked towards the administration's office. It was a small broken down cabin that stood in front of the dense woods with a sign board that read: Yonakai Woods.

No one would have known it was the administration office if they didn't have a second sign board that said: Administration Office for Yonakai Summer Camp.

"Looks beat up," Silas said as he rolled his luggage to the building, frowning as he had to pull it through the stray weeds that littered the ground. He knocked on the door and when no one answered, he turned to his family. "I don't think anyone is home. Mum, Dad, let's go."

"No, not yet." Their Dad said as he and his wife walked past Silas and his sister to the door.

Ava drew closer to Silas as their parents pounded the door almost desperately. "We've got to find a way to run."

"It's no use, Ava. Mum and Dad want us gone." He stuffed his hands in his pocket and sighed wistfully, having already given up the fight to go back to the hotel their parents had booked.

Ava frowned at him, her black brows narrowing slightly. "Do you have any idea how we are going to suffer? We might sleep in tents. I am not comfortable with tents."

Silas held his tongue knowing if he disagreed with her, he wasn't going to hear the end of it. He might have a whiny voice since his voice hadn't developed completely yet but she was the one who fussed when she didn't like anything. And worse, she didn't know how to hold her tongue.