Creatures of Disaster

As it slowly grew dark, Ava only got more nauseated by the increasing crowd. It was almost impossible to walk around without bumping into someone, and she had been groped nearly four times. Not only was she irritated, but she was also frustrated at the awkward looks she had been getting for her heat wave. But for some odd reason, Reina had been immune.

She hadn't yelled or reacted like she always did when she smelt it. Though, Ava had wondered if it was because of the other smells in the air. The air was stuffy from not only everyone's sweat, but food, smoke, dragon breath and something she couldn't place. Everything was all over the place and if something were to go bad, where Ava was, was not the place to be.

"Reina, I want to go on the air balloon," she yelled over the crowd hoping the lady beside her would hear.

"Sure. I need fresh air anyways. I could choke right now." Reina said and coughed. The woman took Ava's hand in hers and teleported them right to the front of the line.

The air balloon event seemed to be bustling because it was packed. There was a long line behind Ava and one of the balloons descending had about six people in it. Ava had wanted to have an alone time with Reina and hopefully take Akane's words for it but if four more people were with them... They might as well get back on the streets.

"You know, we don't have to," Ava managed as the man behind her tried to push her out of the line.

"It is disrespectful to cut. You cannot just appear here." The black man was taller than Ava and had such a stern face. He met Ava's hazels, and she swallowed. The man was intimidating.

However, she didn't let him get away with pushing her. "I would be very apologetic if you hadn't pushed me."

"That is very rude, young lady."

"I'm not even going to ask how old you are." She rolled her eyes at him then caught sight of Reina having a conversation with the woman attending the line. Reina handed the lady a sack of money she had conjured up and Ava almost smiled.

She looked back at the dark-skinned man who had moved dangerously close to her. Even the other people on the line were watching suspiciously. Ava looked back at the taller man just as she saw it. A dull green swarm his once brown eyes and Ava was momentarily dumbfounded. She only stood there, staring until the man opened his mouth.

Luckily, Reina beat him to it.

"Ava, let's go."

Ava blinked, instantly feeling lightheaded. She looked up at the man, but he stared at her weirdly before turning away and walking out of the line. Ava did not understand a thing that just happened, making her shake her head as she followed Reina to the air balloon.

Not surprising, only both of them got on it, and Reina lit the burner. It took a while for it to move but eventually it did and Ava watched the basket rise.

They weren't high enough for a good view, but Ava couldn't hold back the questions storming her brain. "What had happened back there? Was he a charmer? Was I being charmed? Am I still charmed?"

She moved away from the edge to look at Reina who frowned instantly and shook her head. "Actually, yes but no on the last question. Charming works quick."

"So looks doesn't matter then?"

Reina shook her head again then released a deep breath. "Looks never mattered. It's always the eyes. There's this art gallery in the west, it used to have a wall filled with the eyes of different people and beasts. The charmer's eyes he took was very fascinating. It always flashed from blue to green at anyone who looked at it. It was a fun view before it was taken down because the artist had purposely kept the charmer's eyes there. The magic in their eyes never leaves so the artist had been charming people to steal their money. Domus has a great give and take premises.