40

After a long few hours of walking the city of Polis with Octavia, I was exhausted, and I still hadn't found Murphy. I was so scared for him.

I opened the door to Clarke's room to find her looking out of the balcony at the city.

"Lexa told you that you can stay, didn't she?" I stated, sitting down on the bed. Then I asked, "Well, what did you say?"

Clarke replied softly, "Nothing."

I joined her at the windowsill, having her look into my eyes, I explained harshly, "Clarke, we both know that Pike won't obey the blockade. We need to stop him before more of your people get killed."

"They're your people too, Eve," Clarke stated.

Shaking my head, "No they're not. I left them for a reason, Clarke."

She sighed, and then excited explained, "What if I can do more for them by just staying here?"

"You can't, Clarke," I glared. "You don't have time for this." Clarke was hurt by my words. She stared down at her feet, so I took her hand as a show of comfort. "Look," I said more gently, "the Ark needs you. The kill order goes into effect at dawn. You have an hour to get your little ass out of here and have Octavia take you home."

I let go of her hand, almost about to leave the room again, but then turned back to say, "If you're not there, you're not the person I thought you were." Then, I exited the room to go back to the city to find Murphy.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

It had been three days. I'd walked every centimeter of this city. Murphy was gone. It was like he'd never existed.

I sat with my knees to my chest outside of Clarke's room, waiting for her to get back from talking to Lexa to say my goodbyes, and I looked like a lost and hopeless puppy.

I could either go back to camp with Clarke and Octavia to see my dad, or stay here in Polis looking for Murphy and not be able to go back until the blockade was lifted. God, why can't I be happy for once in my life?

All I want is to see the two people I love the most, but I can't be with one without sacrificing the other. I'd come all this way to Polis to rescue Murphy, but my dad must feel terrible back at camp. He thinks I'm dead for fuck's sake.

Pacing down the hallway, looking a sad puppy as well, Clarke noticed me outside of her door. "What are you doing here?" she asked me, confused.

"Just wanted to say goodbye," I sighed, standing up. "Also, um, can you let my dad know that I'm okay and I haven't stopped thinking about him since I left."

Clarke smiled slightly. "Yeah," she replied, opening her door. I followed her in.

The very first thing I saw in the room was . . . Murphy. He was tied to a chair near the bed, unconscious.

"Oh my god," I whispered, sprinting to the man I'd spent three days searching for. Kneeling down in front of the chair, I started to fiddle with the ropes and chains that were strapping him to the chair.

Creeping in from the back corner of the room, Titus stated, "He's alive."

Clarke slowly came to my side, and snapped at Titus, "What did you do to my friend?"

"Your friends were caught stealing from people on their way to the Polis market," he explained in an oddly calm manor. Clarke glared at me in a disappointed fashion, but I couldn't care less.