20

“I promise I’ll be back tomorrow afternoon,” Dad explained at my bedside, “In the meantime, you need to rest, so you can get your stitches out soon.”

            I stared at him suspiciously, and asked, “Where are you going with that grounder?”

            “We’re going to talk with his leader,” Dad sighed.

            I protested, “Dad you can’t go! They will slaughter you all.”

            Dad glared, “We have guns.”

            “That doesn’t matter,” I spat horrified, “They are vicious.”

            He laughed, “I know, you’ve told me that hundreds of times. If you need anything ask Abby.”

The next day was absolutely hellish, because I felt confined to our cabin since I hadn’t left since I had my surgery. We all know that I am not a fan of confined spaces, especially crowds, but I could feel my skin crawling as I sat in the cabin waiting for any news about the outside world.

            Once the sun had set behind the mountains, I began to worry for my father’s safety, because he was always good with being on time. My brain kept jumping for the worst possible situations to the next, and it was maddening.

            I just couldn’t take it anymore, because I was stuck in this fucking room for three days! You could only imagine what I was like in the Sky Box when I was arrested.

            I sat up in bed carefully, because Jackson has come up earlier to take out my stitches. Then, I slid on my boots, and walked out of the safety of my bedroom. When I was out of surgery I had gotten a whole new set of clothes, because the others were soaked in blood.

            Nobody else was in our even near the cabin, but that was actually really good, because I wanted answers about many things: where the hell Dad was, if the found anybody else, if the hundred were alive, and most of all did they find Murphy?

            I stormed out of the cabin, and went down the hall. Not many people were in the station halls, so I could easily slip through quickly. The front door was wide open, and I saw that my judging of time was waayyyy off because it was the middle of the night.

             If you need anything ask Abby Dad’s last words to me echoed through my head. Well, I need something right now.

I stormed into the medical tent, and asked frantically, “Abby?” She was cleaning the wounds of a bloodied girl with mud covering her from head to toe, and when I called her name Abby looked up at me in surprise.

            “You should be in bed resting,” Abby said sternly.

            I glared, “I’m not five years old. My dad told me to ask you if I needed anything, and I need something.”

            “What do you need?” Abby sighed.

            Then, the girl on the bed started to rise up, and I could clearly see her face. In complete shock, I whispered, “Clarke.” I ran to her side, and immediately Clarke wrapped her arms around my neck. “I saw the mountain men take you,” I sighed quietly.

            Clarke released me, and looked at me shocked. “You saw them take us?” She asked amazed.

            I couldn’t stop smiling, and I explained, “When the dropped the gas I ran up to the second level, and I saw everything through the hole Murphy made.”