13

On the Ark

            Marcus led the band of survivors to the monitoring station only to find that the door way was piled with things so that it was sealed off. “Rest in peace Earth monitoring,” Wick said sarcastically.

            “Let’s check passageway four,” Marcus suggested.

            “No,” Wick objected, “We’ve got a jammed pressure door between us and pass four, and we can’t get through here. It’s game over, man!”

            Marcus snapped, “I need to talk to whoever’s in there.”

            “‘Please’ would be nice,” Wick stated. Kane was very tolerant of Wick’s sarcasm and sassiness, because that was exactly the way Eve was. Wick reminded Marcus of her, and that made him miss her even more. Surely she thought he was dead.

            Wick began to mess with some of the technical components that Marcus didn’t understand, but once everything was hooked into place Wick said, “Watch this . . . aha,” Coming from the speaker was static, but Wick continued on, “Earth monitoring, do you read?”

            The air was filled with the static, and Marcus began to doubt his idea that somebody could be inside. “We read you,” Thelonious’s voice boomed over through the speaker, “Who is this? Where are you?”

            Marcus stood in front of the p.a. system and excitedly said, “Sir, it’s good to hear your voice.”

            “Of course it’s you Kane,” Jaha said joyfully, “You’re too stubborn to die.”

            Marcus chuckled, “I could say the same for you.”

            Thelonious curiously asked, “What is your situation?”

            In which Kane replied, “We have about a dozen survivors.”

            “That’s good work councilor,” Jaha complemented, “Sinclair is rerouting power and air to the mess hall. Lead your people there.”

            “After we get you,” Kane insisted.

            “No,” Jaha said firmly, “a fire burned through most of our oxygen. We put it out, but we don’t have very long. All access is blocked. We are reviving as many Ark citizens as we can before our oxygen runs out.”

            Kane said stubbornly, “I won’t leave you here to die.”

            Jaha weakly commanded, “As your chancellor, I am ordering you to gather as many survivors as you can and lead them to the mess hall. Jaha out.”

            Marcus looked at Wick, and ordered, “Lead them to the mess hall, and when you get there, organize a search station by station. Look for survivors.”

            Wick gathered up the group, and kindly instructed, “Let’s go to the mess hall. Come on,” Marcus began to pull on the piping that was on the door in an attempt to open it, but Wick objected, “Hey, the chancellor is right. We all got to get out of here. This whole deck is an electrical fire waiting to happen.”

            Sparks flew off the door, and Marcus yelled, “That’s why you need to lead these people out of here . . . please.”

            “So what, you’ve got to save everybody but yourself? This is nuts,” Wick retaliated.

            A pit formed in Marcus’s stomach, because of the guilt of all of the lives lost because of his actions. “No one else can die because of me,” Marcus spoke softly, and then he commanded loudly, “Go. Go. Get yourselves to safety.”