30

Murphy

            Yet again, Eve went unconscious, and this time it was suspected from physical exhaustion. Since she was sleeping, Murphy figured that he should try to get some rest as well, and he did—very short and low quality, but he slept.

            Gulls squawked overhead, and that was what had woken Murphy up. Eve was pressed up against his body, and you could hear her chest rattling as she breathed. Murphy shook her arm gently, and Eve jolted awake.

            She was weak, and she was so weak that Eve could even lift herself up. "Murphy," She breathed heavily, "Just leave me here."

            Murphy sat up, and took her into his arms—of course it made his wounded arm hurt, but Eve was worth it. "Not a snowball's chance in hell," Murphy murmured. He stood up trying to mask the pain in his arm, and started to carry Eve anywhere that was safer than here.

            Mechanical parts lay scattered all around the beach, but Murphy just dismissed them as wreckage from the apocalypse. With Eve in his arms, he began to walk into the forest to try and find where that drone was being controlled from, but he heard a familiar thud.

            Using his shoe, Murphy cleared away the sand and leaves, and under it was a shining solar panel like the ones that lead them there. Coming from the lighthouse, a loud whirring sound broke the near silence, and muffled music came from the same location.

            They ran to the base of the lighthouse, and the music became louder. Only a door blocked Eve and Murphy from their possible salvation. Using one hand, Murphy used all of his strength to pull the door free from the latch, and then it easily glided open.

            Cautiously, he stepped into the lighthouse, and to his surprise dim lights came on. A lit stairwell was towards the rear of the lighthouse, so Murphy carefully began his decent down the seemingly unharmed stairs.

            He walked into the fanciest bachelor-pad he'd ever seen, and it had everything you could ever dream of having inside. "Promised land," He muttered, and looked down at the semi-conscious Eve, "We made it!"

Eve

            Murphy set me down on the red couch in front of the TV, and he hastily said, "Stay here, I'll find you medicine." He ran all around the bunker looking for a medicine cabinet or first-aid kit, and it took him almost five minutes before he yelled, "I found it! Amoxicillin!"

            He ran into the living room with three pill bottles full with the medicine I needed to survive, and I had never seen Murphy smile that much over medicine. "Take two capsules twice a day with food," Murphy skimmed.

            Then, he rushed to the countertop in the kitchen, because lying on top of it were brown bags. Murphy came back to me holding three crackers, one in his mouth, and a glass of water, and he knelt in front of the couch. "You're going to be alright," He smiled.

            Murphy dumped two brown pills into my hand, and I immediately took them. Then, I broke a piece of the cracker off, so I could eat along with it. He brushed my hair out of my face, and he was smiling so much that I couldn't help but to smile as well.

            "Promised land," I whispered.

            Murphy smiled, "We made it."

            "Pour alcohol on your arm," I said softly, "I'll get infected."

            He took my hand, and explained, "I will in a little while, but now I just want you to feel better."