16

On the Ark

            “What if we jettison sections three through seven?” Marcus suggested to Sinclair. He rubbed his face as he tried desperately to find a way to get to the ground, because Marcus didn’t believe in giving up.

            Sinclair sighed, “Sir, we’ve run every scenario twice. There are no more options. I would really like to be with my wife . . .”

            “And I would really like to be with my daughter,” Marcus snapped. The door to the control center opened, and Jaha walked in. “Chancellor on deck,” Marcus announced.

            “At ease, Sinclair,” Jaha asked Marcus, “Anything to report?”

            “No, sir,” Marcus disappointedly replied, “Nothing we’ve tried will save the Ark.”

            Jaha suggested, “Have you tried not saving it?”

            Abby asked curiously, “What is this about?”

            “It’s about going home,” Jaha explained, “From where I stand, we have two options: die in space or probably die trying to get to the ground.”

            Marcus sighed, “We have no more exodus ships, sir.”

            Jaha smiled, “You’re wrong, Kane. There is one. We call it the Ark.” There was a tense silence, “Sinclair, please tell us what would happen if we use the thrusters that keep the Ark in orbit to propel us into the atmosphere instead.”

            “The ark would break apart,” Sinclair explained, “First into its twelve original stations, then further as the violence intensified. Ninety-five percent of the structures would explode on the way down.”

            Jaha slid out the schematic of the Ark from its tube, and handed it to Sinclair. He asked hopefully, “You think you’re smart enough to pinpoint the five percent that wouldn’t?”

            Marcus smiled joyfully and asked in shock, “Are we really going to do this? Bring the Ark to the ground?”

            Thelonious raised his eyebrow and sarcastically asked, “Have a better idea?” Marcus couldn’t stop smiling, because Jaha’s idea actually could work. Jaha looked at both Kane and Abby and asked, “Are you two ready to see your kids again?”

On the Ground

            The door to the camp opened, and the remaining campers filed out with guards leading them. Bellamy and Clarke were the last to exit the camp, but before they left Bellamy approached me. He yanked off my gag, and threw it on to the ground.

            “I’ll see you in hell,” I spat with disgust. He and Clarke walked out of the camp leaving me to die.

Not too far off in the woods, I heard Jasper scream, “GROUNDERS!” Less than ten minutes later, everyone was barreling back into camp screaming in terror.

            Dylan cut off the ropes that were tethering me to the tree, grabbed my hands, and sprinted me to the dropship. “Are the scouts here yet?” I asked, but was only given silence.

I sat in a chair in the dropship with my hands still bound behind my back, and Bellamy and Clarke stood at our map table staring at me. “So how the hell are we going to do this?” Clarke asked aggravated.