31

We stared at the dead man on the TV screen for a long time; death shouldn't have shocked us as much as it did at that moment, but it did. We just watched a man commit suicide.

Just like Charlotte.

I looked down at the brown couch we were sitting on, and then sounds of gears locking pierced the silence. Murphy's blue eyes widened, and as he stood up to go see what was going on, a woman's voice said over an intercom, "Containment doors sealed."

Murphy ran up the short steps to the outside doors, and I could hear him shouting loudly.

Then, the video continued.

Two of the man's friends ran into the bunker to find him dead, and they realized that China didn't start the war, ALIE did. Murphy stood next to me transfixed on the video, and my heart pounded in my chest at the thought that we were locked in here.

"Murphy," I whispered, "We're stuck in here."

My breaths were shallow and rapid—you could hear my lungs crackling—so Murphy sat back down and wrapped his arms around me. "We're going to be ok," He lied.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face into his neck. "I don't like the City of Light anymore," I whimpered in terror.

____________________________________________________________________________________

The twelve gunners did not go away.

Their haunting voices plagued my mind even while I was away from Camp Jaha, and they were much more terrifying while belong locked inside a bunker.

I covered my head with my arms and buried my face into my knees as I cried out in terror. Murphy stared at me from afar, because he had no idea how to help me.

Murphy couldn't stand to see me in this much pain, but he also couldn't do anything about it. "Get away from me!" I screamed as I felt people closing in on me.

Murphy ran to and knelt in front of me, "Eve, look at me," he whispered lifting my head up. Tears were running down my face, but Murphy blocked everything else in my range of vison with his face.

"Everything's going to be fine," Murphy lied, "We're going to get out of here soon, I promise."

I stated bluntly, "I'm not getting better...," then I started screaming, "We're never getting out of here!"

____________________________________________________________________________________

I brought the whiskey bottle to my lips, took a long sip, and then proceeded to beat the pot against the metal door to the outside world that's been shut for a month and a half.

"LET US OUT YOU BITCH," I screamed at ALIE, the AI who ended the world.

I kept hitting the pot harder and harder and harder as the rage boiled over inside of me, because all I could think about while drunk was being locked in the skybox for killing Kristy.

She deserved it. She deserved to be killed. After what she did to me....I should have made her death long and slow.

"ARGH!" I yelped as the pot shattered against the door slicing a wound into my arm, "FUCK!"

Murphy came barreling up the stairs finding me clenching my right forearm with blood dripping down onto the floor. I let go of my arm to pick up the bottle of whiskey, and I drank the rest of the contents.

I draped my arms on Murphy's shoulders ignoring the cut, and I laughed in my drunken state, "Let's fuck again." I placed my bloody hand on Murphy's cheek, and then forced my lips onto his sloppily.

Murphy gently pushed me away by my shoulder, "Eve," he whispered, "Babe, I've got to wrap up your arm."

"We can do that later," I laughed hysterically, "Come on, John, it's fun."

He glared, "Your arm is bleeding all over my back."

"So?" I laughed, and he walked with me down the stairs back into our own personal hell.