32

I held the handheld camera we found when scavenging for more food packs, and I was broken. There wasn't any more food left in the bunker, I was going insane, I wanted my dad, and I knew that I was going to starve to death with Murphy.

If the doors to the bunker ever opened up, I was leaving this message for Jaha.

"Eighty-six days," I sighed with tears in my eyes, "We're, uh, on our last box of food, so...," I laughed cynically, "I really thought I'd never miss camp this much, but anyway, Jaha, if you're seeing this, that would indeed mean that you're not dead. Let my dad know . . . ," A tear of despair fell from my eye, "that you let me starve to death in this bunker. SCREW YOU!"

Angrily, I threw the camera across the room, and I crumpled into a ball on the floor. "Eve," Murphy said quietly.

Underneath the glass table was the silver pistol that Chris, the man in the video, used to kill himself. I picked up the gun, and I sat up once again.

I turned the revolver until I heard a click, and then took a deep breath in as I placed it under my chin. The second Murphy noticed the loaded gun under my chin, I was tackled to the ground as he shouted, "No!"

The gun fell to the floor and skidded across the room.

Murphy's body pinned me to the floor, but I felt completely alone in that moment. "I can't do it anymore," I cried softly, and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I love you," Murphy whimpered, "I love you so much."

Then, our prayers were answered.

The same mechanical, whirring noise came from the door we had been trying to open for the past eighty-six days, and ALIE's voice said, "Containment door released."

We looked at each other for a second, but then quickly stood up and scrambled to the containment door to finally make it outside. Murphy grabbed my hand tightly to make sure I didn't leave his side to attempt suicide again, but we stopped suddenly in front of the containment door.

"Together?" Murphy asked softly, and I nodded my head.

We pushed the doors open, and bright sunlight filled the dark bunker. I breathed the fresh air in deeply, and carefully stepped onto the grass below.

Whirling above us was another one of ALIE's drones, and when it flew away, I yelled, "Get back here you bitch!" while chasing after it.

Murphy followed close behind me as I sprinted through the forest following the drone, and we quickly stood in front of a large mansion that had several drones surrounding it.

We barreled through the ornate front doors, and seemingly waiting for us at the end of the hallway was Jaha. "John, Eve," he smiled, "There you two are."

Murphy was kneeling on the floor to catch his breath, so I sat by his side for safety—I clung to his arm. "Jaha?" I spat.

"Welcome," Jaha smiled, "We have so much to talk about, and so little time." I could now see that Jaha looked taken care of nicely; he looked well fed, groomed, and even had new clothes to wear.

I helped Murphy back onto his feet, and I could feel his rage boiling inside of him. Jaha placed his hand on my shoulder, "I found it, Eve," He grinned gesturing to the massive house we were in, "The City of Light is real."

Murphy broke from my grasp, "Don't touch her!" He growled before passing out from pure exhaustion.

____________________________________________________________________________________

After having a proper shower and a change of clothes, I lay on an ornate couch cuddling with Murphy while he slept—I was the big spoon. Classical music played in the background, and I almost felt like I could fall asleep.

Murphy jolted away, causing me to do the same; he looked over his shoulder to see me smiling at him, "Good morning, sleepyhead," I giggled.

"You know," Murphy smirked, "I kind of wished the first thing I saw when I woke up was your pretty face."

I chuckled, "Shut up," and then I softly pressed my lips against his.

He pulled his lips away to take a drink of water from the cup on the side table, and while sitting up, Murphy downed half of the water in the crystal glass. I sat up as well, and Murphy handed me the rest of the water while he took the apple.

I tilted the glass and let the water pour down my throat.

Murphy stood up, turned around, and was just about to bite into the red apple when he noticed Jaha meditating in the room across from ours. "Jaha," Murphy called out walking towards him.

I stood up and went to his side; placing my hand on his chest, I explained, "He's just been sitting there the entire time. It was kind of creepy."

"Hey," Murphy whistled, "Wake up!"

From behind us, the same woman's voice who was in all of those videos explained, "Thelonious isn't here, John. He's in the City of Light."

We turned around, and staring at us was ALIE.

I grabbed Murphy's hand in fear, but tried to bravely state, "I know what you are," and then I grabbed the apple from Murphy's hand chucking it straight through ALIE.

"It's refreshing to be around people who understand technology again," she smiled.

Jaha stood up from his spot on the floor and walked towards us, "Let us explain," he said.

Murphy snapped, "That's a good idea. Why don't you start with why you kept us locked in a bunker while you were here living like a king?"

"The outside world means nothing," Jaha shrugged, "In the City of Light, we're all royalty."

I smirked to Jaha, "Here I thought I was the one losing my mind."

ALIE stated, "It's the truth. I can show you."

Murphy leaned in close to Jaha while ALIE stared at me uncomfortably, "Ok. You do know she's the one who launched the bombs that ended the world, right?" Murphy asked softly.

"Wrong," Jaha smiled, and I furrowed my brow, "She didn't end the world. She saved it."

Murphy chuckled leading me out of the mansion, "We're so out of here."

bUb+<(Xy