39

Clarke and I stood along the back wall of the commander's throne room as she taught her students about the "Ascension Day". I was promised by Clarke to be able to speak with Commander Lexa after her lesson was over, but it seemed to drag on forever.

"We gather here on this Ascension Day to honor the commanders that came before me," Lexa spoke from her wooden throne, "those who live on within me as I will live on within one of you." As she spoke to the children holding candles, Lexa was looking directly at a small boy with blonde hair—I guessed that he was her favorite.

Men shouted from outside the throne room, and then the double doors burst open letting in two angry grounders. "The Flamekeeper promised we would be heard!" the one with the cane shouted, angrily.

Lexa turned to the cloaked, bald man standing next to her, and asked, "Titus, what is this?"

"Something you need to hear, Heda," Titus leaned in close to tell her.

More grounders from the man's tribe came into the throne room, and one of their guards held Octavia Blake in bounds. Both Clarke and I were shocked to see her here in Polis.

"Is that . . . Octavia?" I whispered to Clarke, very confused on what was going on.

The man with the cane kneeled in front of Lexa, and spoke cautiously, "Forgive me for intruding on this holy day, Commander. I am Semet of Trikru and I come seeking justice."

I whispered to Clarke as she stared at Lexa, "I'm so confused. What's even happening here?"

"Explain yourself. Why do you hold Octavia of Skaikru prisoner?" Lexa demanded of Semet.

He replied, "She is a prisoner of war, Commander—brought here to bear witness to the crimes of her people."

Clarke rushed away from my side to the grounders, questioning their leader, "What crimes? What happened?"

Titus answered from the throne, "Skaikru attacked their village. Because their warriors were lost when your people massacred the army we had sent to protect you their village was defenseless."

Oh my god. What has happened in the last three months that I've been gone? It seems like the entire world has gone ass-backwards. Last time I checked, we were friends with the grounders, at war with Mt. Weather, and had Abby as chancellor.

"Please, Commander," Semet begged, "I beg you, avenge us."

A woman from the crowd around us shouted, "Jus drein jus daun!" which led to the crowd of grounders to chant along with her.

"Death to Skaikru!" a man shouted.

The crowd began to seem more hostile.

"You will show respect in this chamber!" Titus commanded.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Titus rushed Lexa, Clarke, and I out of the throne room and back into Clarke's room for a private meeting. Lexa burst through the double doors, and yelled at Titus, "How dare you bring this to me n Ascension Day!"

I awkwardly stood next to Clarke, watching over the debacle.

"I did not bring this here, Heda," Titus replied coldly, "you did. Against my advice, you made Skaikru the thirteenth clan. They rejected this, murdering hundreds of your people, and yet on the very field where they died you decided to forgive the killers, but this provocation is proof. Blood must not have blood has failed. All that can stop this now is war."

Lexa stood quietly, glaring at Titus.

Stepping forward, Lexa suggested, "Clarke?"

"Clarke's opinion in this matter is not exactly unbiased," Titus snapped, but then looked to me. "But hers is."

Three pairs of eyes stared at me. "Eve, tell us your opinion," Lexa demanded.

Taking a deep breath in, I explained, "I think Titus is right. I would do anything to save my people. From what I've heard, not everyone agrees with Pike: my dad, Kane, doesn't, Octavia doesn't."

"Your people did not vote for Kane!" Titus yelled.

I snapped back, "Some of them did! We need to give them time to see that they made the wrong choice and fix it."

Lexa stared at me. "And you believe your people will take him out themselves," she stated.

Titus interrupted, "If they don't, if instead they use this time to plan their next attack, we must act now, Heda. Make an example of the thirteenth clan! Show the other twelve what happens when they defy you. You got them back when you killed the Ice Queen, but the coalition is still fragile. If you don't act now—"

Lexa raise her hand, and Titus immediately shut up.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The guards led Octavia, Clarke and I back to our room. Octavia looked around the ornate room, and chuckled, "No wonder you wanted to stay."

"Stop," Clarke glared, "You know why I'm here."

I sat down on the couch, taking off Murphy's jacket, and Octavia asked me with attitude, "Why are you here in Polis? Everyone thinks you died on your trip with Jaha."

"Grounders took Murphy here, and I came to save him," I explained quickly.

Octavia turned to Clarke, saying, "You know, I saw Indra in the crowd. Why wasn't she with Lexa?"

Clarke explained briefly, "Indra's not doing so well, Octavia. We can't deal with that right now."

Silence.

"Okay, so what do we do?" I asked the group.

Clarke sighed, "I have to talk to Lexa."

Octavia snapped, "You just did that and came out with a kill order on all of us. That's the second time that she left us all to die."

"What?" I whispered, even more confused than before.

"The twelve clans want a war. You know that," Clarke explained, "Lexa's just trying not to wipe us out."

Octavia rolled her eyes, "Why am I not surprised that you're still defending her?"

"I'll see what I can do," Clarke promised, and then looked at both of us, ordering, "Stay here."

Clarke quickly slammed the door shut, leaving Octavia and I alone. "Yeah, right," she mumbled under her breath, and asked me with a raised eyebrow, "How about we go look for your boyfriend, Kane?"

L9Gh