17

On the Ground

I stood outside with Bellamy helping command everyone to defend the camp, and nobody was really talking. People stacked sandbags along the wall, grenades and other weapons were being handed out, and you could feel the intensity in the air.

"Take this," Bellamy said handing me a black gun, "You need protection."

I took the gun into my shaking hands, and doubtfully asked him, "Are you sure?"

Bellamy smiled, "If you want to live another day you need protection."

I nodded without saying another word, and then put the strap over my shoulder. A few seconds of quiet went by, but in the distance the menacing sound of drums pounding ran through the camp. "They're here," I nervously asked Bellamy, "What do we do?"

"Come with me," Bellamy instructed.

We arrived at the foxholes, and I was cramped between Bellamy and Miller with my gun pointing at the dark forest in front of us. "Where's Octavia?" Bellamy asked.

"She left five minutes ago," Miller explained, "Didn't say where to. She thinks she's a damn samurai.

"Do you see anything?" Bellamy asked me.

"No," I sighed.

"What the hell are they waiting for?" Monroe angrily asked.

Bellamy explained, "The longer they wait, the better. This is about buying time for Raven."

Over the radio, a boy frantically said, "I see them! They're moving. I count one, two, three, no wait, there's more. I don't know man, there's too damn many of them." Then coming from the south foxholes, the first gunshot rang through the forest.

"Who was that?" Bellamy asked.

"Sterling, I think," Miller replied, "South foxhole."

I said puzzled, "They wouldn't be attacking this far away from the camp."

"South foxhole, report now!" Bellamy commanded into the radio, and more gunshots exploded through the woods.

Sterling calmed down a bit and replied, "Yeah, yeah. We're ok. They didn't attack. It's like . . . it's like shooting at ghosts." Shooting at ghosts?

In the tree line, a shadowy figure ran past, and Monroe shouted, "There! I see them!" More figures emerged from the tree line, and they were just running back and forth.

Then, Miller and Monroe started shooting. I commanded, "Stop! Hold your fire!"

Pulled the trigger of her gun, and then realized that she was out of ammo when the bullet didn't race down the barrel. "Reload. Now," Bellamy commanded, and he looked at me and asked, "So what now, Kane?"

Miller interrupted me, "Those were our last clips."

Frightened, Monroe suggested, "We should pull back."

"No," I explained, "If this position falls, they'll walk right to the front door."

Over the radio, Clarke said, "Eve and Jasper, wherever you are, I need you to get to the dropship right now and help me."

"On my way," I eagerly said, and then I silently ran to the tunnels nearby.

I ran into the dropship, and Raven was in immense pain. "Clarke?" I asked while looking for her.

"Down here!" She replied from under the dropship, "I need you to keep order in the camp while I'm here with Jasper."

I replied worriedly, "I think you better come up here and check on Raven."