33

I walked through the dense forest with Murphy by my side, and I stated, "I trust her as much as I trusted Finn."

            "You can say that again," Murphy smirked, but bent down to the ground picking up a silver ring with a (probably fake) diamond in the center of the band.

            He got back up. "What is that?" I giggled.

            Murphy laughed, "Use your eyes, dumbass."

            "Shut up," I laughed as I slugged him in the arm. Then, I ran my fingers through his newly cut hair, and stated, "This is the first time your hair has ever felt soft."

            He chuckled sarcastically, "Because I finally had it washed. Before, it was in dred locks." Murphy quickly pecked me on the cheek, "You're still cute."

            "Stop," I fake-groaned, "You're the cute one." We started walking towards the light house again, and there was a beautiful sunset happening to the right of us.

            We stepped onto the sand of the beach and sat down on a log near the tree line, and I rested my head onto Murphy's shoulder while he had his arm wrapped around my waist. "What are we going to do now?" I whispered.

            Murphy glanced over to the row boat we had abandoned on the shore eighty-six days earlier. "Row to shore," he shrugged, "pray we find Emori, make sure she doesn't want to kill us, and go home."

            "What if we can't find her?" I suggested.

            He sighed, "I don't know, then."

            "I love you, John," I smiled.

            We watched the waves beat against the shore as the light rays bounced off of them, but I was still cold; the Ark was always hot, because we were closer to the sun. Being locked up in the bunker reminded me of being on the Ark.

            All of us were locked inside of a tin can with limited amounts of food and water, and the only real way out was death. There were so many people who didn't make it down to Earth, because their stations went up in flames before they even made it into the atmosphere.

            So many people died to get here. To get to this hell.

            "Hey," Murphy cooed, placing his hand into mine, "It's going to be okay."

            I hadn't even realized the tears on my cheeks, but I knew I was sad. "Isn't it amazing how many people died trying to get here?" I stated.

            "I think that it's more amazing that we somehow ended up on a radioactive planet together because we were criminals only to fall in love," Murphy smirked.

            I giggled, "That is pretty amazing."

            "We were supposed to die so many times over," Murphy smiled shyly as he gently slid the ring he found in the forest onto my left hand, "but here we are, Eve. Together after everything."

            I glanced down at the ring on my fourth finger, and I smirked as I quietly asked, "What are you doing?"

            Murphy smiled adorably, "You know what I'm doing," and then at that moment, butterflies flew around in my stomach. "Remember when we were in the Dead-Zone," he whispered, "and I asked you that if I asked you to marry me, would you?"

            I blushed, "Yeah," and he tilted my head upwards so he could see my eyes.

            Murphy took a deep breath, and made his eyes look into mine; he had the prettiest dark blue eyes. He held both of my hands softly, and rubbed the back on my right hand with his thumb.

            "Will you marry me?" Murphy asked softly but still romantically.

            My heart pounded in my chest, but I was so happy. I was so fucking happy. I loved him so much, and I wanted to be together forever.

            I grinned with leftover tears in my eyes, "Yes."

            I quickly wrapped my arms around Murphy's neck, and I buried my head into his neck as we tightly hugged each other. "I love you, John Murphy," I whispered against his skin.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Murphy and I leaned against the wooden, capsized row boat on the shore when the sound of a fog horn startled us. Jaha, his backpack, and a mutated servant walked out of the forest.

            "You leaving, huh?" Murphy asked in a snarky way.

            Jaha replied, "So are you two."

            I snapped, "Not with you, we're not."

            He turned to the mutated servant, "I'll be right there Gideon," and it grunted in return.

            "I see you've made a new friend," I smirked as Jaha walked towards us. As Jaha stood in front of us, I saw a disheveled man who once ran the Ark.

            He saw our daggers pointing at him, so Jaha apologized, "I'm sorry that we kept you both in the bunker. Is that what you want to hear? The truth is that I knew you were safe. And with all the work we had to do, we needed the time."

            "Yeah," Murphy scoffed, "I could tell you were pretty busy back there."

            Jaha explained, "We converted a nuclear warhead into a power source. With the added power, ALIE was able to complete the work she began when she was created a hundred years ago."

            I huffed, "Whatever. I guess we're leaving this place in a row boat."

            "I need you," Jaha begged grabbing my hands.

            I glared, "Of course you do."

            Murphy sneered, "More food for the sea monster, right?"

            Jaha dug around in his coat pocket, "Let me prove to you what we can do."

            "Save it," Murphy snapped, "I've seen what she can do."

            "No," Jaha argued, "You haven't. Not even close, son."

            I chuckled at him, "How is it possible that you sound even crazier than before?"

            Jaha held out his hand, "I can tell you about the City of Light," in his palm were two chips with an infinity symbol on them, "but you won't understand it until you experience it yourself."

            Murphy laughed, "And that's supposed to take us to the City of Light?"

            He embezzled, "No pain, no hate, no envy."

            "No thanks," Murphy scoffed, "pain, hate, and envy...those are the ABC's of me. You get rid of them and there's nothing left. Now you get that thing out of Eve's face or so help me, God."

            Jaha smiled, "Take care of yourselves," and he slid each of the chips into the pockets of our jackets, "decide later."

            The fog horn from the rag-tag ship blew again, and now a light shone onto the shore of the island. "John? Eve?" A familiar voice called out from the bow of the ship. Then, Emori poked her head out from behind the light and chuckled, "I don't believe it."

            I called out confused, "Emori?"

            "What are you waiting for?" she smiled, "Come on!"

            Murphy looked at me to see what I was thinking. I grabbed his hand, and I smiled at him, "Let's go."

            We walked across the beach towards the boat, and Jaha smirked at us, "Changed your mind, I see?"

            "Bite me," Murphy snapped, and we walked up the plank that had been left out. Gideon was loading things onto the ship, but I felt his eyes stare directly at the ring on my finger. He wanted it.

            I pushed that from my mind as I stepped onto the boat with my fiancé.