/solitary/

/simon/

'Sorry bout all that... On the bus.' JJ mumbled as we stepped off onto the pavement. I smiled at my feet.

'It's cool, mate. Your business. Not mine.' I mumbled. JJ led me to a long line of attached houses, all of them very similar, but very posh.

'You wanna come in?' He asked as we stood outside of a tall, burgundy door.

'It's cool. I'll wait.' JJ's brow furrowed.

'It might... Take me a while. My mum likes to move things.'

Blushing, I shook my head. 'No worries. Like I said- I can wait.' JJ shrugged and unlocked the door as I leaned against the steps leading up to his house.

A few moments later, a figure appeared at the end of the road. As the shape got closer, features became more distinguishable, and I soon realized it was Josh.

'...Is this JJ's house?' He asked.

'You do like to say hello, don't you?' I asked with a smile. I swear his lips were about to turn up in a grin, but before they could, he looked away. A scowl replaced his plain expression.

'Yeah, this is it. He's gone to get my book- You can probably just go in.'

Josh paused, and then sat down beside me, his hands moving to cross over his knee.

'Ahh, quality time together.' I murmured with a low laugh. I wasn't usually so forward- but something about the boy, with a ghost of stubble surrounding his chin, made me feel comfortable.

When I looked up, he was blushing slightly.

'No. I just don't like walking into people's houses!' he retorted.

'...Why?' I asked.

'It's just, like, rude. Like, it's not polite.' Our eyes met as he spoke, before he dragged his away from my gaze.

'God, the face of thunder has manners!' I exclaimed, clutching a hand to my chest. Josh laughed.

He actually laughed. I didn't know him well, but I knew from JJ and a few others that the boy was made of stone. And then he laughed.

And, honestly? Something about it was beautiful.

He was just about to reply when JJ came bounding back out the door.

'Got it! Oh, hi Josh.'

Josh stood up, his face set back into the usual bored expression.

'Hey Jide.'

I pushed myself up from the step and grabbed the book from JJ. 'Thanks, man.'

JJ smiled, and nodded. 'See you in English. Josh, follow me, I'll show you around.'

Josh hesitated on the bottom step as we both stood by the gate, as though he was tempted to follow me. I moved to pull my backpack onto my back, brushing his arm slightly as I did. He jumped at the touch, his eyes widening slightly.

'See you in school, happy.' I grinned as I turned away. I walked a few steps further before I heard him whisper, 'Yeah. I'd like that.' Then, the door slammed behind him, as I was left to make my way back home.

~~
sorry that updates have been kind of robotic recently!!! I've been so busy with like results and college enrolment and work and ahH frantic!!! tried my hardest to still get stuff updated, but I've been lacking in the 'hello friends!!' department so hello friends!!! hope everyone is well, how's your family? done anything nice recently? how are your pets? lots of love xx