/rejected/

/harry/

'Harry?'

I heard Vik calling my name before I saw him. He was stood, as always, by his locker- and, as always, I was late.

'Hey. Sorry, I got held up.' Vik just grinned at me and pulled his bag up onto his arm.

'You ready?'

'Yeah- Am I really late? Have we missed the bus?' Vik turned to shut his locker, a worried look growing on his face as I realized the time.

'...Not if we run.'

With that, he grabbed my arm and pulled me through the crowd of people who were meandering towards the exit, forcing a path through them

I laughed, calling out apologies as Vik moved quickly. It was the first time I had ever seen him do something so boisterous, and it was hilarious. When we arrived at the bus stop, the bus was just about to leave- but I held up my hand and, with a sigh, the driver opened the door.

'Single to town, please.' Vik said with a smile. I repeated the same, grabbed my ticket, and followed Vik to the only free double seat on the bus.

I flinched slightly when I heard the voice of the boy behind us- JJ. I was ready for the hurl of abuse that usually followed when he was there- not usually from him, but from his 'friends'.

'You okay?' Vik murmured, as he felt me tense beside him .

'Yeah... Just don't really get along with the football team.' I said with a half-laugh, referring to the group that I assumed were behind me.

Vik turned slightly to look back over his shoulder.

'What the-' he exclaimed under his breath. He leaned back in to talk to me.

'Not the football team- It's JJ... And Simon Minter.'

I frowned to myself. 'Simon Minter?' Vik just nodded in confirmation.

'Christ. I thought he was alright.'

Vik shrugged as I heard his name from behind us.

'Wait... Isn't that Vik Barn?' Simon's voice was low, and breathy. He sounded nervous. Vik turned to look at him .

'Hey, and Harry.' JJ replied. I turned too, mirroring Vik's posture.

'Just wanted to say, thanks for saving me- in the toilet. I could've been stuck there forever.' Simon spoke with a slight laugh but he kept his voice quiet. It was as though he was scared to speak . I found myself looking over at Vik, worry tracing my eyes. He just smiled at me slightly.

'Harry?' JJ persisted. His voice sent a shiver of fear through me.

'Thought it was Harriet?' I asked coolly. JJ looked away with his jaw clenched.

'That's not me, man.'

'Oh, Lord, you're quiet when your friends aren't here to bully me, aren't you?'

Simon was frowning slightly in the seat beside JJ.

'What's going on?' He asked.

I smiled spitefully, and turned to Simon.

'Nice friends.' I spat. 'I don't know you, but I guess I'm kinda glad now.'

With that, I pulled Vik up from the seat and hurried off the bus, my hands shaking slightly.

'Harry, this isn't the stop for town!' He protested as the bus drove off.

I bent slightly at the waist, placing my hands against my knees as my breathing hitched.

'I'm sorry, Vik. They're... They aren't good people.'

Vik looked around us, at the suburban street we stood at, and the bus stop that placed us at least a few miles away from our destination. I looked up, expecting to see disappointment in his face. Instead, he was smiling.

'In that case, let's start walking.'

~~