one

"Karla! C'mon!! Let's go play on the swings!" Lauren Jauregui yelled to her best friend, Karla Cabello.

They've been best friends basically some they were born. Their moms were friends in college and kept in touch after.

About a month after Karla was born, her mom, Sinu, and Lauren's mom, Clara, introduced each of the young girls. Even though Lauren was almost one-years-old, and Karla was only a month old, they became the best of friends. Lauren had started school a little later then most of the kids her age did, but that didn't matter much because she was in the same grade as Karla, which both moms saw as a good thing.

"Lauren you know I can't swing by myself." Karla whined, kind of annoyed because Lauren knows that she has trouble swinging on her own. She always gets made fun of it by the other girls and boys in her kindergarten class.

"I'll push you!" Lauren volunteered.

"Lo, you don't have to do that. People will just laugh at you too." Karla said disappointed. "I don't care." Lauren answered and hopped off of her swing to push Karla on hers.

"Let 'em laugh." Lauren replied with confidence. As she kept on pushing Karla.

"We're gonna be friends forever, right? Lauren said uncertainly. "No." Karla said. Lauren was confused. Her an Karla have been friends for five years. "Best friends forever." Karla started giggling.

Lauren didn't know what it was, but when Karla laughed, it just made her happy inside. Like heart stomach started feeling funny, and her porcelain cheeks got pinkish and hot, and she couldn't contain her smile.

She loved to see Karla happy.
-----------------
"Taylor Lautner is so hot! Isn't he Karla?" One of Lauren and her friends, Amanda, asked the 12-year-old while they were watching Twilight.

"Uh I guess." Karla answered back unsurely. "Just I guess? I swear Kar, sometimes I think you don't even like guys." She says playfully.

Karla started silently panicking. She couldn't actually know, could she?! No. She couldn't. Karla's kept this whole things hidden. She hasn't even hinted.

Amanda saw Karla tense up. "I'm just joking Kar!" She said playfully and walked away.

"What's with her?" Lauren spoke up. "So what if you don't think Taylor's hot. That doesn't make you gay." She laughed it off.

Karla just looked up at Lauren slowly. "Kar, are you okay?" She asked. "Lauren...I-I think I'm...g-gay..." She stutter out. "I totally understand if you don't want to be my friend anymore. It might weird you out to be near me. Or you might think that I'd be looking at you or something I don't know. But I totally get it if yo-" She was cut off by Lauren engulfing her in a big hug. "Kar, you don't have to be afraid. I'll always be your best friend. No matter who you like. You shouldn't fall in love with someone because of their genitals, but because of their soul. I would never want you stop being your friend, Karla." Karla didn't say anything she just hugged her best friend back. Lauren felt a few tears hit her neck, and knew not to say anything else.

"I love you, Lauren. I can't imagine my life without you." Karla told her. "I love you too, Karla." She replied.

-------------------
"Where is she?" Lauren asked Karla's parents. She was freaking out. Karla hadn't been at school for four days straight and wasn't replying to her texts or calls.

"I don't know, mija. She just ran away." Sinu said sadly. "We just woke up the other day and she was gone." She sounded kind of unconvincing, but Lauren decided not to dwell on it.

"This isn't like her. She wouldn't just run, let alone run away without talking to me. I'm her best friend." Lauren was so confused. Karla seemed fine just a few days ago. Things just didn't make sense.

"The police are still looking but there's no sign of her anywhere." Alejandro replied. "We just don't know what to do."

"I have to go look for her." Lauren started to the door. "Honey no," Sinu started. "They have their best people looking for her. It's no use for you to also." She continued.

"I can't just not do anything. I'll just we worrying. Looking for her will help calm me down a bit." Sinu didn't say anything. She just slowly nodded her head.

The next day

"You don't think she's dead, right? She can't be. She's only fifteen. She wouldn't be able to survive if she's alone." Lauren said with tears in her eyes. "Of course not, Lauren. She'll be fine." Her mom, Clara, reassured her daughter. "They're going to find her. I promise you."

"How can you know for sure?" She asked, still sniffling.

"Lauren, I just know." Her mother replied, calmly.

The thing is, she didn't actually know.