“What does Vince know?” Curiosity got the best of me as I spun in my combo.

            The smirk fell from Justin’s face. “Well, I may have,” his hand rubbed the back of his neck, “told him about what we told each other last week.” His eyes dropped to the ground in shame.

            “Then what does Ally know?” I was so relieved that it wasn’t about my parents that I didn’t really care that Vince was never going to let me be about liking Justin.

            “That I like you,” his cheeks turned red and his eyes didn’t leave the ground. “At least, she’s pretty sure I do, I never admitted it her and Vince wouldn’t tell her, but she’s been bugging me about it for weeks.”

            I sighed in relief, letting myself chuckle a bit at Justin’s expense. “Is there anything else I’m missing?” I pulled my homework out of my backpack placing the books in my locker.

            “Charlie’s on board with Ally, that’s why they made us, or at least tried to make us, dance together at the parties.”

            I nodded as Vince and Ally returned, their hands intertwined. “Emma, will you come with me to talk to Ms. Harrell about our English homework?”

            “Um,” my eyes met Justin’s, “sure, I guess.” Ally linked her arm through mine and pulled me away before I could even shut my locker.

            Looking back I saw Justin close it right as Ally began to speak. “Vince is right, last week you and Justin didn’t speak a word to one another and now you seem as close as ever, what gives?”

            “Justin and I talked last week,” I stayed defensive. “I mean our families are practically family.” Does that even make sense? I shook of the thought knowing Ally understood.

            She gave me a glare, knowing I was holding back on her as she walked into Ms. Harrell’s room, but didn’t say anything else.

            That’s pretty much how the entire day went. Justin sat next to me at lunch, which thankfully left no room beside me for Vince since I sat at the end of the table. I don’t think I could have dealt with his constant flirting while playing twenty questions with both Ally and Caitlyn. In History, Justin and I sat a little too close to each other, but no one noticed since we were the only ones in the back row.

            “So what did Vince have to say to you this morning?” I took out my notebook, but had no plans to write notes as Mr. Bradfield lectured on about the Articles of Confederation.

            “Oh, he asked about us and, although I denied everything, he knows.” Justin was quiet as Mr. Bradfield waited for an answer to a question he asked before continuing. “Ally will know tomorrow. He said he couldn’t keep this secret from her, so Charlie and probably the whole school will know by the end of tomorrow.”

            I wanted to ask what they would know, because I was a little confused about what Justin and I are, but Mr. Bradfield called on him to answer a question and after that we had to at least pretend to pay attention.

            I didn’t get a chance to talk to Justin after that, because someone from class started a conversation that lasted all of passing time and even into gym class and then we were split into teams for basketball.

            By the time we were walking to my car, I had forgotten my question. “So, movie night tonight?” Justin asked as I drove through the small downtown.

            I shook my head. “I shouldn’t, I have a lot of homework and I need to call Alex and Hannah and Riley and Jenny and Michael,” the list grew longer as I said it, “about next week.”

            “Who are Michael and Riley?” there was a hint of bitterness in his voice and I could help but laugh.

            “You don’t have to get jealous like you did with Vince this morning. Michael and Riley are practically family, and besides, they’re old.” I smiled at his hostile attitude.

            “But they’re not family?” He rolled over my mention of Vince from this morning. “Then who are they?”

            “Well Michael’s…a friend and Riley, he’s, he’s, I’ll tell you about him another time, alright?” I couldn’t exactly say godfather without my parents’ absence being brought up. I looked over at Justin, hoping he wouldn’t press the subject and that he wouldn’t be too mad about another secret.

            “Okay,” he took my hand with a smile on his face. “How about a movie tomorrow?”

            “Deal,” I jumped eagerly, happy that he wasn’t upset, “as long as I don’t have to pick the movie.”

            “You have never chosen the movie before, so we start now?”

Full Copyright 2013