Chapter 13: Knock, Knock

(By VikkiB3092)

 ''Veronica?'' called the handsome leader, ''You need to do this. I know that you don't exactly have the Romano looks, but, you're the only one with the power to make people trust you.'' Veronica glanced at Peter for a minute, that seemed like an hour, and then quickly exchanged a few confused glances with Dalziel and Abelina.

''Alright, I'll do it.'' she voiced out in a soft murmur.  Both Peter and Dalziel sighed in relief, both were afraid that her lack of harshness would overcome. ''But I will not tell her anything directly, she will figure it out on her own'' she said.

''She is a young girl! She will never come to the right conclusion! Have you ever met these creatures? They are just like humans - stupid and intolerable. She-'' Dalziel stopped when Peter placed his hand on one of his shoulder and nodded to Veronica.

Her lilac eyes turned into a darker shade when they met Abelina's bright blue ones. Both of them exchange a brief smile after a few seconds of staring at each other. Then Abelina saw the thin figure of Veronica drift away in the direction of her cave.

~~~~

Surprised wasn't the word for it.

I'm a witch? And I'm a vampire? Some freak?

''Knock, knock. Can I come in?'' Jordan, her heartbeat quickened at the sound of his voice, but she was quick to reassure herself.

''I was just a bit startled...'' She breathed out, so that the words were barely audible. Xanthe then got up and opened the door to her tiny, white-walled bedroom. ''Yes? What do you want?''

''Err...'' Scratching the back of his head, Jordan looked straight at her, ''You've got mail.'' She reached out her hand for the letter but still hesitated before taking it.

''Do you know who it's from?'' She asked him, breaking her rule on only speaking when it's absolutely necessary.

''You think I have some powers that gives me the ability to see through things? Because if I had that you'd not be standing anywhere near me.'' She frowned at first but then looking up she saw Jordan raise his eyebrows and understood the joke.

''You dirty, little mongrel!'' She laughed and shut the door.

Sitting down on her bed, she hesitated before opening the letter. What she didn't tell Jordan is that this was her second ever letter-except the letters that the school sent out to her guardians and the laptop she was sent in February- she never got anything else addressed directly to her. 

Finally, finding the courage to peek inside the letter, Xanthe took out the folded piece of yellow parchment.

 Dear Xanthe,

There is no need for you to worry.   I have all the answers.

Please come to 32, Alexandra Rd, tomorrow, on the  25th of October,  at 3.55 pm.

Sincerely,

Xxx

The letter slipped through her shaky fingers and all of a sudden she felt so cold. The letter made her feel cold, she knew something was going to happen when she went to 32, Alexandra Road. She knew she shouldn't go there but she could not stop herself, from making that decision.

No, just no. She, he, they... Can't know anything about me! No one ever met me!

~~~~

Having the door shut right in his face was exactly what he expected from Xanthe. Although he did not approve of the letter being sent, he couldn't do anything about Peter's decision. After all he was the leader and Jordan was just a half-blood, only respected when necessary.

Opening a portal, he stepped through it and into his resting place inside the large crypt of the Menrads. Wondering why he could be so straight with Venus but had to keep everything from Xanthe, he sat down and channeled his energy into searching for the last mongrel, as Xanthe put it.

Why is he so hard to find? Does he have someone to protect him?thought Jordan.

''Did she receive the letter?'' At the sound of Abelina's velvet voice, Jordan immediately stood up as a sign of respect.

''Do you even have to ask?'' He innocently retorted back. 

She smiled, like all the Menrads, she was beautiful but deadly.

''You know, your feelings for that blonde, little cur mean nothing. I'm afraid of what Dalziel would do to her if you try anything stupid.'' Not waiting for a reply from Jordan, Abelina gracefully exited the cave.

~~~~

''Here we go...'' she mumbled before knocking on the door of 32, Alexandra road, she wished she had someone to come with her but that would be breaking her No.1 rule and getting close to someone. Unless it was already too late...

~~~~

Nervous, she was pacing back and forth inside someones living room.

''So who's house is this anyway? They have to be pretty old and not have been here in a while. Just look at all this dust!'' Jordan's careless banter was strangely calming as Veronica did not have to focus on her priorities while she lectured him- for the fifth time that day- on the importance of her meeting with Xanthe.

''Jordan do you not understand that I'm doing what you were supposed to do? Do you not understand that she might not believe me? She is-''

''-a Romano, which means she knows more than she should but her fathers genes block that knowledge from her. Which is why we're here. Blah, blah, blah! You've been saying the same thing for the past three hours! Jeez... Calm down! She'll look like she doesn't believe you but she will. It's Xanthe, not the-young-Romano but Xanthe! She's a smart girl! But she hasn't had anyone show her the ropes. I thought that was what you were supposed to do. Not give 'er a history lesson!'' Rolling her eyes she began to pace the room once more.

''You like her.''

Jordan suddenly stopped analyzing his surroundings and stared at Veronica.

''It's obvious to everyone but you two. Luckily, for you, Dalziel hasn't been following you that much. He's been too keen on the Atkinson boy.'' she continued.

''Atkinson? I thought he was Elven?''

Sighing, Veronica knew she told him too much.

''He's the son of Erisael, Elven enchantress from another realm of the Kingdom of Xanacaden and Rephaim, a vampire who was exploring the different realms of the world. Rephaim died shortly after Erisael gave birth to the boy, unable to take care of the boy on her own she sent him to be adopted by humans. Hence his Oh-So plain surname.'' Veronica explained him while running her elegant fingers through her long hair.

''Oh! That's why I had to track down his bro first! He's a royal, shielded from the energy and what not! The kid is one tough cookie!'' Looking outside he noticed the difference between this house and the neighbouring ones. ''Wait, is this house protected too?''

Cursing herself for letting him distract her so much, her mouth spoke before she allowed it to, ''Yes, I do not want Dalziel commenting on everything that I have done and what I should have done.''  

A cheeky grin spread on his face.

''Tut, tut, tut! What do I hear?! Someone doesn't like the great second in command? He would love to hear about that!'' 

A smile crept on to Veronica's lips before she said, ''You are forgetting that as far as the hierarchy goes, it is I who has power over you and it is I who has the most power in this room. Or are you forgetting all those times you had to watch Dalziel kill those who were enemies of your presence?''

''Alright! Alright! I was just joking!''

''Hopefully she didn't inherit her fathers ability to read minds. Just conducting electricity.'' Letting out a barely audible chuckle, Veronica momentarily forgot why they were here in the first place.

Until the knock on the door finally came, not a second past 3.55 in the afternoon.