Chapter 6: Only Ordinary

(By: Emeryn)            

Days pass on, same friends, same classes, same acquaintances, same lunches, the same life dragged on; change was not something that he could foresee in the near future. An event does not have to alter. An event did not have to create unneeded complication, and he was thankful for that.

 Eating away his favorite double cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, grilled onions and other toppings at a nearby burger joint with three of his companions, Zane hears a voice call to him, “Zane, are you in or what?” He wasn’t sure which one of his friends it had been, not that it mattered.

 “Huh?” he questioned, puzzled at the nearby development.

So days haven’t been quite so ordinary, but for Zane, they haven’t changed, but somehow his abilities to hide his troubles are fading away. Concentration levels ran low and he can’t quite understand why. 

 “Man, you really haven’t been listening have you?” “The concert this Sunday, you know, front row, backstage, free food, all in one package.” A friend, who was wearing a baseball cap, filled him in, excitement ringing with every syllable.

His mind had recently been dazing when he was around his friends, and he was a bit remorseful for that. Still, keeping up with jobs and paying for his own apartment takes a toll on his physical strength and emotional as well. Not wanting to be bothered needlessly, he gave a curt reply, “Can’t.”

The notion that hit upon his friends proved to be surprising, and confirmed by a boy with a buzz cut and thin rimmed glasses when the ‘four-eyed’ boy, spoke, "Really? You’re going to miss out on Green Day?"

To keep it simple, prompt and curt yet again, he went spoke, "Busy.", his voice deprived of any emotion.

 "With what? Your dead girlfriend?" Rhys chided, rolling his eyes, sarcasm dripping from every word.

"Huh?" He questioned again, still puzzled at the nearby development. He couldn't fathom what Rhys is even talking about; he had never had a girlfriend, let alone a dead one. 

“Relax, I'm just kidding." Rhys waved him off, laughing inwardly at Zane’s confusion, which only led to more complex expressions.

----

            Run.

            Run far away.

            Go.

            Don’t come back, he can’t.

He wanted to run, run to a million miles away if he could. This just isn’t his home anymore. He would rather live on the streets than live in a world deprived of what he loved, his candy.

That turned into what was perhaps the most idiotic decision of his life.

--------------------------------------------

 Lost in images of yesterday, Zane’s chestnut hair flickered to a dark shade mixture of strands of maroon and jet black. Though only brief, it is something that’s rarely unnoticed despite whatever change blindness most people have.

Digging his mind out of the past and back to the present, he realized that he had lost control. People around could have seen. They could know, know that he wasn’t only ordinary, that he was far from normal.

 "Whoa, did your hair just change color?” the scrawny yet strong and energetic boy with the glasses asked and quirked an eyebrow.

Keeping his replies quick and to the point as always, the boy with crystal blue eyes monotonously answered, “No." 

 “Okay then…” was the awkward response from the boy who dropped the eyebrow to normal alignment.

Zane then decided that he would chew slowly to avoid answering possible questions that might come about and pretend that life was only ordinary.

 But he knew he had to speak to Rhys later, and not by choice either.