Chapter 12: Confrontation

Zane heard a voice too familiar around the corner, a voice usually gentle and even, but this time, the sound was sharp and harsh, yet still seemed controlled. 

"Why are you following him?"

The tone suggested that those words were not of spite but of a cold sensation of confusion. Perhaps Zane would join the party, perhaps not. The situation served best when scouted, and he would do just that. Allow them to speak on and listen as if he were not there, because surely those couldn't have been the first words.

To him, it was two spiky haired idiots bickering over nothing and just one happened to be his friend.

"I'm not here to argue with you, I have business."

"If that business involves my brother then I simply have the right to know," his friend retorted without giving any indication that he was not serious.

Odd, rather odd indeed, all those years that he had known Rhys, he had never known Rhys had a brother. He did consider the fact that Rhys was trying to get information out of the other, but if that were true, going ten years without hearing a trace of this brother of his best friend would be unsettling. 

He opted to conceal himself the best as he could and listen close. Very strange. He had never condoned the act of eavesdropping yet he just couldn't help it in such a situation.

Rhys would continue with a question, but the tone returned to his usual self, "Just what is it you want?"

Pausing, Rhys abruptly turned around towards Zane's direction and whispered, "I know you're there, Zane." 

How was that possible? He had hid behind a tree without even the slightest noise in the shaking of leaves.

"It's...complicated."

What was? To Zane, Rhys was acting odd.

"So tell me." Zane requested.

“It’d be easier if I just show you later, but know, that man is suspicious. Do not trust him. You will regret it.” Rhys answered after giving the stranger a sharp look, leaving the other boy simply puzzled without a clue of what was going on, yet somehow Zane didn’t think Rhys was fully aware of the situation either.

While the two were having a silent conversation, the supposedly suspicious man cut in, “I’m Jordan, but also kind of in a hurry, so take this,” and pulled an envelope out of his pocket and handed it to Zane.

 “I’ll see you soon.”

That was all Jordan said before walking off, obviously thinking something to himself. At least that was what Zane deciphered.

 After Zane noted that the man named Jordan was out of earshot, with a slight glint of seriousness in his eyes, he sent Rhys a subtle nod, sending through the message: I am going back to my apartment. You are coming with me and explain whatever the hell it is that you think you should explain. Then we’ll see what is in that envelope, because if it’s a bomb, it is your fault. Understand?

As usual, the cue was understood.

-----

Zane’s expression stood blank. With that appearance, he uttered, “Simply speak. Please? It’s quite difficult not knowing. If you don’t know, that’s fine, but what did you mean by your brother? What was that man after?” A pause. “Oh, and don’t you dare tell me this doesn’t concern me. You’ve given me the impression that we might as well swear brotherhood, because you sure as heck helped me loads before.”

“Funny you should say that. I should just show you,” was the reply from Rhys.

What the air was filled with wasn’t tension, but rather nothing. Emotions ran empty. Every word was austere. Bits and pieces almost sounded like a robotic enchantment of a spell.