9

One new voicemail, I glance down at the small, glowing screen. I just got home from my sunset beach visit, and was planning to just go right to bed. It's not that late but I'm almost done a really good book and can't wait to see how it ends.

I open the message, might as well see who's called when I was staring at the colored sky.

"Jaime, Vic here." Oh.

"Just wanted to apologize again for last night. I tried to get out of the dinner my brother spontaneously announced, but I couldn't." Oh.

"I was, uh, wondering if you're up for a late night movie tonight? Or if you don't get this until the morning, then lunch or something?" I smile a little, he's cute when he's nervous.

"Or if you don't want to, that's cool, too, Well, um, I do really want to see you again. Yeah, um, bye." I can't help but bite back a smile as the message ends, he seems to actually want to see me. And fuck, I want to see him, too.

It's not that late, and the message is from twenty minutes ago. I'm sure Vic is still awake.

I scroll through my contacts until I find his name, there's a tingle in my stomach as the call goes through and I raise the phone to my ear.

"Hi, Jaime, I wasn't sure you'd call." He answers after the second ring

"Well, I did," Shit, I'm nervous. Vic chuckles. Hearing his laughter and voice has brought a smile to my face and completely erased my previous bad mood.

"I'm really sorry about last night, I-" I cut him off before he can continue.

"Vic, it's okay. I get it, don't worry." I assure him, sure, I was sour about it, but ultimately it was stupid to feel the way I did over it. Vic laughs, a little nervously.

"So, you have any plans tonight?" He asks after a moment of silence.

"No," Another small smile pulls at the corner of my mouth.

"If I pick you up in ten do you trust me to take you somewhere?" He asks, the smile is audible in his voice.

"Sure, I'll see you in ten."

"Text me your address, see you soon," I hang up.

Since Vic cancelled last night l've been wallowing in a rather large pool of self pity, but hearing Vic's voice just say hello has the power to change my mood completely.

I text Vic my home address and throw a jacket and shoes on.

On my way :) Vic sends a quick reply. Butterflies spread through my stomach, I'm excited to see Vic again. I wonder what we'll get up to. He mentioned a movie.

After impatiently waiting, staring at my phone, for Vic to text me saying he's here, my phone finally buzzes.

I don't bother taking the elevator, I just hurry down the stairs. Hey, a little cardio never hurt anyone.

I haul the lobby doors open, searching for Vic. He's there, leaning against his car. Fuck, I forgot how beautiful he is.

"Hi," A smile spreads across his face as I approach.

"Hey." I grin back. He looks at me for a minute before speaking again.

"Shall we?" He asks, voice slight raspy.

He stands up straight and open the passenger door that he was leaning on, leaving it ajar for me. He walks over to the other side of the car, sliding into the vehicle.

I bite my lip and the internal butterflies explode as I rather clumsily join Vic in the car. It smells like leather and cologne, like something expensive.

Vic starts the engine and pulls out of the parking space. The usually busy road is deserted, kind of odd because it's just before ten o'clock, but if there's no traffic then I'm not complaining.

"Again, I'm really sorry about last night." Vic says as we turn off onto one of the main streets in town.

"Vic, it's alright. I get it, and you're making up for it now." I reassure him. I glance over, he looks undeniably gorgeous, focused on the road, the streetlights casting shadows over his sculpted face.

"Speaking of which, where are we going?" I ask, Vic hasn't yet mentioned what we're actually doing.

"Does a movie work? There's a late night show at the drive in theatre." He suggests.

"Sure, that sounds great." I say softly, still looking over at him. I'm biting back a smile, he's just so intoxicating, and I don't even think he knows it.

"We can fold down the backseats and watch like that. Or just sit up here, whatever you want." He adds the last part quickly.

This is one thing I really like about Vic, even though I've only known him for a short amount of time. He always offers an alternate option, no matter what. There's always the opening to say no if I'm not comfortable, to pick something else. He doesn't force anything. It's a good trait.

"Backseats work." I say quietly. I notice the small smile that appears on Vic's face.

A few minutes of small talk and a couple turns later we arrive at the drive in cinema. Vic pulls up to the window and pays for us, besides my protests.

"You didn't have to pay." I grumble as we find a spot to park where the screen is easily visible. Vic just chuckles in response.

"Help me pull the seats down?" He asks after we park. I nod and open my door, stepping out of the car and follow him to the backseats.

It takes a small push to get the seats lying flat, and it's the perfect space for two people to lie down. We'd be close together, for sure.

The thought makes the butterflies in my stomach throw a party and invite all their friends.