Love Birds

(Tate's POV)

I called my gram when we were closer to town. Just to tell her we would be home soon. She sounded relieved, until I told her about losing Alice again. I couldn't bring myself to tell her that I had killed an innocent girl. That situation still has me shaking.

I went from thinking I killed the girl I loved, to knowing I took the life of a girl who wasn't expecting it to happen. It hurts a lot more knowing I did it, but couldn't remember doing so. That's girls face was stuck in my mind. I could only imagine what would happen if I was to do the same to Alice. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

Her face reflected in my mind, as I began to think about Alice being with someone else. Who could the father of her babies be? I shook my head clear of the thought, because it didn't matter. The love I have for Alice will never change. I would help her with the babies, and treat them as if they were my own.

"Are you okay?" Alex asked me.

"Yeah, I just have a lot on my mind," I said as I snapped back to reality.

"Do you want to talk about last night?" He asked.

"I don't even know what happened," I said truthfully.

"You don't remember any of it?" He asked.

"I remember some of it, but I don't remember killing her," I said as I shook my head.

"Do you think someone else could have? Or do you think it was your-" He said before I cut him off.

"I don't want to talk about it. I don't know what to think right now. I might have just killed an innocent girl, and lost the love of my life again. Not to mention, I don't even know where she is going," I said as I gripped the steering wheel tighter.

"Well do you think she would've went home?" He asked.

"At this point, I really don't know. I mean if she's as smart as I remember, she probably went somewhere safe. Somewhere that Kane wouldn't be able to find her," I said.

"Well, when we get back, we'll go straight to your grandmothers. We will be safe there. If you don't feel safe going there, then I'm sure Damon and Rain would know where to go," He said.

"Well... we'll figure it out, when we get there," I said as I looked out the window.

I seen the sign to our hometown, and the bridge just a mile ahead. It was still day time out. That's when I realized that I'd never really payed attention to this little town. I've lived here for only a short five years, but I spent so much time looking for Alice. It made me blind to the beautiful the town holds.

"Damon, were getting close, I need you to park the car out back of the library. Just in case Kane has followed us here," Alex said over the cars phone.

"Tell him Luna should be here soon as well," I said as I snapped back to reality.

Alex relayed the message, before hanging up the phone. I looked up ahead, where there was someone hitch hiking. It was an old lady. What a strange sight.

"Pull over," I said.

"Why?" Alex asked.

"Just do it," I said.

He pulled over and the old lady dressed as a hippie walked up to us.

"Do you need a lift?" I asked her.

"Well I'll be damned," She said.

"What?" I asked.

"You're a sight for sore eyes," She said as she pulled down her glasses.

"Do I know you," I asked.

The old lady smiled at me.

"You were only a baby when we met. I'm a friend of your grandmother Ceciellia. It's a long story, but maybe we can talk about it at your grandmothers," She said.

"Oh! You're a witch," I said after her scent finally hit me.

"Well, yeah," She laughed.

"Well come on in," I said.

After she climbed in the back seat, her scent hit me full force, as if she let down her protective guard. The smell of old lady perfume and potions filled my nostrils. She smelled like my grandma. There's no wonder I couldn't sense what she was, when all I could smell was her perfume. Or maybe she did it on purpose, to hide her scent. Witches are tricky creatures.

The rest of the ride was silent. As we pulled up, Damon went around back. I stepped out of the car, and opened the back door. When she didn't get out, I looked in the back seat. She was gone.
I shook my head and laughed. If she could teleport this whole time, why didn't she just teleport from the the bridge? I shrugged it off, and closed the door.

Damon met us out front, before heading up the stairs. I opened the door to find three old witches sitting on the couch with my grandma. The lady Alex and I picked up smiled at me.

"Sorry, I teleported up here, I just couldn't wait to see the girls," She said.

"You know we have stairs right?" I asked.

"Tate?" A familiar voice from the kitchen said.

Just then she walked out, holding the babies in both her arms. With tears in her eyes, she handed the babies to Anna and Rain, before running into my arms. I held her tightly while caressing her hair and back. Trying to sooth her, as she cried with her head buried in my chest.

"I can't believe it's you," She said after making a sniffling noise.

"I can't believe it's you either," I said as I kissed the top of her head.

I could feel the tears forming in my eyes.

"I've missed you so much," She said as she looked up and into my eyed.

"I missed you too," I said with half smile.

"I waited so long to see you," Alice said as she caressed my face.

"I want you to know that I never stopped looking for you," I said as I held her face in my hands.

I wiped her tears with my thumbs, as she did mine.

"Don't ever let me go," She said.

"I'd never do that. I refuse to lose you again," I said as I kissed her.

She kissed me back, and it felt just like our first kiss. Exciting, magical, and inviting. I didn't want it to stop, but my gram cleared her throat. I chuckled as I felt my face redden.

"I know you two little love birds missed each other, but we have some matters to take care of," My gram said.

(Pic is of Alice and Tate reuniting)