Chapter 61 The New Divide

Start from the beginning

She knew the answer to it, but it was not what she was supposed to say. Isabel was supposed to tell him that her desire was to end Ezekias and clear away all suffering—but it was not her true feelings.

Because of this, her fist curled up into balls, her eyes found the wooden floorboards of her father's condo, and her heart began to pound.

In every scenario that she imagined, it had David in it. Every end, every outcome, not once did she picture her beloved dead.

And that's when it hit her.

"Personal gain comes with a price?" she repeated, and this made her father stand.

No matter what she believed, or how she pictured things, life had its own way of unfolding itself. Nevertheless, there was one thing that she found to be persistent in most of the scenarios.

David would live, but that did not necessarily mean that she would.

"Isabel, do you know why it is I who stands before you?" Her father was an intimidating individual. His dark sleek black suit flawless, it made him look like a guardian of an ultimate secret—a fitting image.

The question, catching the blonde witch off-guard, caused Isabel to watch her dad approach her. He stood inches away with the book in his hands.

It was large and old, the cover being that of parchment and other materials. On its brown surface, Isabel could see an eye that was firmly shut and the scratches and scars of what she assumed to be previous owners who fought for it.

The weirdest thing was that those markings kept resurfacing, as if they were just being created.

As if those who perished were still attempting to obtain it...

"Answer the question," he said to her.

"It must be the trial of the book," her words were mechanical, like a machine answering in haste so as to not anger their master.

"Wrong," he voiced. "It is your mother's doing, because she knew that there would be a Hallow that would once again need this book."

With wide eyes, Isabel held her chest as she remembered her childhood. There were few memories with her father in it, and now she knew why. He was never around not because he did not care, but because her mother made him leave.

"Wait, mother knew this day would come?" Now her voice was regaining the ferocity that she had built within herself for the day she would go to war.

But her father only shook his head, "The Wiccan Rede knew that one day another Hallow would rise to claim the Book. It was to come to pass whenever humanity's end was near."

"But why?" Now her body was trembling, "why us?"

"My daughter, I do not hold all the answers. I am but a simple cup bearer, now tell me," he started again.

"Tell me what your greatest desire is?" and when he yelled this, everything around them became undone. The chair, the office, her surroundings—it all turned to nothing as Isabel looked into her father's eyes and cried.

"Leon," she whimpered, voicing his true name. "I want to save him just like I would have saved you. Give me the power to help my loved ones!"

The earth shook and the ethereal realm rippled in a bubbling wave of energy.

Leon smiled and whispered something to her before vanishing within the contents of the book. It then floated midair and as Isabel went to touch it with her hands, only one finger's graze was enough to feel the ultimate force rushing into her soul.