Chapter 7

"What do you think Bonnie is doing right now?" Joey asked. Him and Darren were busy scrubbing the entrance hall floor as their detention. Sour Grape Snape had buggered off and left them to it, something they were thrilled about as he kept trailing mud across their paths while saying "You missed a bit."

"Bonnie? I don't know, probably doing her Potions essay, why?" Darren replied, rubbing his sore back.

"Just... just wondering," Joey stared intently at the soap suds in front of him.

"Joey," Darren said. Joey looked up, his brown eyes the colour of dark chocolate. "We're best mates. Tell me, how do you feel about Bonnie?"

Joey turned away, hiding his burning cheeks. A smile twitched at the corner of Darren's mouth.

"I like her... a lot," Joey confessed. "But there are just so many guys that flirt with her!" he said angrily, scrubbing the floor harder and harder.

"She has nice eyes," Joey murmered after a moments silence. "Like fresh cucumber," he added, "or kiwi..... hey, do you remember that muggle childrens book she showed us, Green Eggs And Ham?" Joey grinned, remembering Bonnie sitting next to him that night in the common room on the couch. The fire flickering in front of them, adding a glow to Bonnie's face, while she read him Green Eggs And Ham.

"Man, I'm hungry."

 * * *

After detention it was nearly 9 o' clock, so Darren made his way along the corridors - checking that all the students were in bed. He hadn't had time to do his potions essay, but if McGonagall found out he hadn't been doing his Head Boy duties, she'd throw a hissy fit.

As he was making his way along to Ravenclaw tower he spotted Sami. She was looking at the stars through one of the windows. Darren caught his breath. In the moonlight her hair fell in a silvery waterfall down her back. Her hands were rested on the window ledge, her feet crossed at the ankles. She wasn't wearing her robes, just her slytherin jumper and skirt.

Darren's heart accelerated.

What should I do? Say something? Sneak up on her? No, that's stupid, she might get scared and punch me in the face... oh, I know...

Darren cleared his throat and she turned around. She looked startled, but relaxed once she saw it was him.

"Head Girl, aren't you supposed to be doing your duties?" Darren teased, walking over, trying to radiate as much confidence as possible while his insides were pounding. She looked gorgeous...

"I get distracted easily," she replied with a small smile.

They looked at the stars together for a while, an awkward silence falling like snow around them.

"Tell me about you Darren," she finally said.
"What?"
"I want to get to know you," she explained.
"Oh, okay... I'm, urm, I'm a good observer," he said, "I notice little things."
"Oh really?" Sami raised an eyebrow. "What colour are my eyes?" She asked, placing her hands over Darren's eyes to stop him looking. Despite this being completely unnecessary (as it was too dark to distinguish colours anyway) Darren didn't object.

"They're hazel and green, sometimes you can see flecks of gold in them," Darren's answer was quick, he didn't even need to think about it. Sami seemed impressed as she removed her hands from his face.

"What about mine?" Darren cupped his hands around Sami's eyes and she laughed.
"Yours are light brown. In some lighting they look burnt orange, like autumn leaves..." she trailed off. Darren dropped his hands back  to his sides. A warm feeling engulfed his body and the back of his neck was tingling.
She had noticed.
They smiled at each other, then returned the stars.

Darren felt his hand twitch, wanting to reach for hers. But he refrained.

She's a Slytherin.
Slytherin and Gryffindor don't mix.

Unless you add the right ingredients.