Chapter 3

"Filthy....bloody....brat...my shoes....sick.... stinks....." Joey grumbled to himself as he cleaned his shoes in the prefects bathrooms. Darren was leaning up against the wall, watching him scrub his soaking wet shoes with a sponge. He squirted a handful of soap out onto them and continued to clean them, hoping to get the smell out as much as possible.

"Come on Joey, it's nearly 10 o' clock, you've been at this for ages," Darren said. "There wont be anything left if you keep scrubbing through the night like that!"

Joey looked up at him under his dark hair, his scowl deepening into his face.

"I.. will not... walk around... with STINKY SHOES!"Joey said through pants as he heaved up and down, scrubbing away like a scrubbing thing.

Darren rolled his eyes. "Well, I'm off to bed, see you in the morning. We have potions first thing by the way!" Darren called as he opened the bathroom door and left, he made his way down the corridor, turned a corner and walked straight into Sami.

"Oh! I'm sorry, i didn't see you.." Sami explained, blushing.

"Whoa haha, you just came outta nowhere," Darren laughed nervously, ruffling his hair.

"I was just checking the corridors to make sure all the students were in bed. Is that what you're doing, Head Boy?" She smirked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well... er... Joey is cleaning," Darren stopped himself, "..yeah. Yeah that's what I'm doing too," he finished.

"Well, i guess I'll see you Defence Against The Dark Arts tomorrow?" she asked, starting to walk away.

"Mhmm," Darren replied, the pitch of his voice much higher than he would have wanted. He watched her walk away before smacking himself in the face and then turning in the direction of Gryffindor tower.

* * *

"Today class, you will be brewing the Draught Of Living Death," Professor Snape droaned on in his monotonous voice. His black robes billowed around him as he walked down inbetween the rows of desks, flicking his wand here and there, closing curtains and turning on lamps - creating an eerily dim lighting.

"Turn to page-"

Snape stopped as he watched the door to his classroom slowly creak open. Darren and Joey, who were sat at the back row, turned around to see a girl with chocolate brown hair enter the rooom. She stared at the floor as her cheeks flushed with colour.

"Miss Swan, how nice of you to join us," Snape let his words fall out of his mouth and drop to the floor with an echoing thud. "Tell me. Why...are you late? Is your time more... important?"

Bella shook her head.

"No Professor, you see, I tripped over a bug and lost my sense of direction-"

"Enough," Snape snarled. "10 points from Hufflepuff. You may take a seat next to Mr Cullen." Snape lazily directed his wand in the direction of Edward, who was sat as far away from the rest of the class as possible.

Bella hurried over and sat down, dropping her books onto the two-seater desk with a plonk.

"I shall now place this fan in front of Miss Swan for no apparent reason," Snape said, he turned the fan on and then walked back to the front of the classroom. The fan blew Bella's long hair into Edwards face and he became rigid - leaning away from her and clutching the desk to stop himself from toppling off of his chair. Bella seemed very put out by this and the reddness in her cheeks deepened.

Darren turned his attention away from Bella and Edward to find Jacob, sitting at the desk in front of him, staring behind him at Bella. His leg was jigging up and down - like a dog wagging it's tail. He gazed at Bella with dark puppy dog eyes until Snape noticed and flicked his wand again lazily.

Jacob's eyes literally popped out of his head and rested ontop of his desk, staring forwards.

"Eyes on me Black, I dare say, I am more attractive than Miss Swan," said Snape.