Chapter Forty-Three: Just like old times

We approached the place and lets say it is not inviting.

Barbed wire was on the fence, with a decomposed body hanging off it. Mines were set in the ground, with traps along the pathway. The whole set up was actually pretty impressive.

"We have to stop here." Amelia said as she put her arms up and made us all stop. Murphy looked at her like she was nuts.

"We're still fifty yards away." Murphy pointed out. Me and 10k then squadded to the ground, examining each aspect of the place.

Pa used to have a set up like this, and teach us how to work around it. Then we would set it up ourselves, for protection.

"My dad said the place was booby-trapped. I told you, Homer's crazy." Amelia explained.

"Not crazy, smart." I muttered as I looked at the camp. I saw how the strategic way the mines were set, and how obvious some of them were.

"Have we completely dismissed the idea of a phone call?" Cass asked. "Just Sayin'."

Warren then came in between us and crouched.

"Hey." She said. "This is your kinda set-up. How do we get in?"

"Without us getting killed. I do like to keep that in mind." Murphy added.

"Uh, well one thing. Homer's set up is aimed at stopping Z's, not a team." 10k began.

"See how you can see the piles? Zs don't give a shit, while a team could see it." I explained.

"So, if we keep a sharp eye out for landmines, trip wires...."

"We'll be fine." Warren said, finishing 10k's sentence. We both nodded at her. "Okay. The four of you guys, stay here. Give us a 40 second head start. We'll flank him from behind."

"You mean three." I corrected. Warren gave me a strange look. "I'm comin' with you."

"Crow, that ain't-" Doc started.

"I grew up with this." I said then looked at 10k. "Just like Pa used to make."

10k looked at Warren and nodded. She rolled her eyes but moved her head in agreement.

10k lead, with me right behind. Warren and Amelia stated on our tail as we weaved through the mines. Once we got past the field, we head towards the dirt path to the house. Once we got to the oak house. 10k gave me a boost to jump over the fence. We followed the wooden path to sneak up behind the man. He had a gun on the others.

I snuck and hit the gun forward, having the butt of it hit the man in the face. He lost his grip, giving me a chance to grab it and aim. 10k placed a knife on the man's neck.

"Don't do that, sir." 10k said to him. Amelia and Warren then aimed.

"go ahead. Do me a solid." Homer told us. "Just don't leave me a Z."

"I'd never do that Mr. Stubbins." 10k told him respectfully.

"We just need your help, sir." I told Homer. Homer did a double take on me before his eyes went wide.

"Hello to you too." Doc said weakly. He was on the ground after Homer gave him the boot.

----------------------------------------------------

Homer's home was pact with essentials. It looked like Pa's bunker before we went on the road. Pre-made meals in boxes,, different canned food. Also medical and ammo. Just what you needed.

Homer put his gun down then picked up a basket. We all congregated to the the large Island in the kitchen.

"Grady was a good man. If anyone could SCRAM that reactor, it was him." Homer said as he put a sympathetic hand on Amelia's shoulder.

"SCRAM?" 10k asked. I was leaning against him. He was against the archway of the kitchen. 10k's arm was protectively around my shoulders.

"Safety Control Rod Axe Man." Homer explained. "Goes back to the first reactors. The only safety system they had was literally a man with an axe, whose whole job in the event of a meltdown was to cut the rope holding fuel rods over the cooling pool."

"That's what Dad was trying to do." Amelia told Homer.

"How much time do you have?" He asked.

"How much time do we have." Murphy corrected. "You're in the soup with us, Homer."

"You've confused me with someone who gives a damn." Homer snaps.

"According to Grady, less than 40 hours." Warren explains. "And we do give a damn. Now are you gonna help us or you gonna sit here and let us all die?"

Homer stays quiet, and looks around.

"I want to see my Niece when she is born." 10k speaks up. "Give her a chance."

Homer looks at me, and 10k. his eyes drift to my large stomach that my shirt barley covers. Along with the large pink scar from the day we lost Garnett.

"Well there's one thing we might try." Homer says. I sigh with slight relief. "I'm gonna have to show you."

Homer then gets up and walks over to one of the boxes of supplies.

"We're gonna need weapons, equipment." Homer says as he places a large black bag on the table. He opens it and it filled with guns and ammo. "Come on. Load up. It's not as if I'm gonna be needing this stuff."

Everyone begins to move to grab stuff. I grab a quiver of arrows, since I was running low and started to stuff my bag with food and ammo. Murphy makes a giggly noise, and I look over.

Boxes and Boxes of Vodka.

I rolled my eyes and watch 10k drift to a section of the house. I begin to d as well.

I went to a clearing in the house. Filled with books and such to keep him occupied I guess. I began to look at them, when a voice made me jump.

"How far along?" I turn to see Homer.

"Pretty far." I tell him as I place a hand over my swollen stomach.

"I remeber when my wife was that pregnant with my son. Her back was bugging her and her feet were the size of cantaloupes." He chuckled.

"Yeah, she likes to sit on my bladder." I smile.

"You know the gender?" He asked with a smile. I go into my pocket and pull out the sonogram. I hand it to him and he looks at with awe. As if it was treasure.

"WE found a place that had the equipment and told me I was having a little girl." I told him. Tears fell from his eyes. He handed it back to me, then picked up a large bag at his feet.

"Take this. It's medical supplies and a few books on babies and births." Homer said I tokk it from him, then gave him a hug.

"Thank you." I whispered in his ear.

"You and your brother remind me of my son. That is something to keep me going." He said, then walked away. I rubbed my big belly and smiled.

Soon I would get to see her.