Chapter Twenty: Weatherman

WE were holding up in a small white house. The flowers were still intact in the wheelbarrow bed and it looked un touched. Solar panels clung to the roof, absorbing the sun. Addy and Mack were in the front just messing around. Warren was trying to get a radio to work, have some tunes playing. Garnett was in the kitchen making coffee. The place still had some power to it.

"Do I get one?" I ask Garnett. He shakes his head.

"Nope." Warren says while popping the P. "Can't in your condition." I groan.

"Really?" I ask. "No coffee?" They both shake there heads and chuckle. I turn around, looking for my brother. He is sitting on a chair with his feet up reading a magazine. Next to him was Cassandra asleep on the couch. In the dining room, Murphy and Doc were playing poker with pills. I go and sit with them, could get interesting.

"I will see your Vicodin." Doc says adding to the pot. "And raise you one tetracycline."

"Call." Murphy says. Doc puts down three kings.

"Three of a kind." He says with confidence.Murphy grins and shows his cards.

"Full house. Aces High." Murphy says with a smile. 

"Man!" Doc groans, me and Murphy start to laugh. Murphy collects his winnings. "That's five hands in a row. If you're gonna continue to use my deck, you need to quit pulling cards out of your ass."

"How did you learn to play like that?" I ask Murphy.

"Magic." He says while wiggling his fingers. I chuckle. Me and Murphy may not be the best of friends or anything, but there are moments.

"He shhh. Hold on, he's back." Garnett says about the radio. WE have been to Citizen Z's broadcasts, for warnings or directions.

"Friends, I'm talking about mean weather coming in fast." He says in an announcers voice. "Some reports of tornados. Find Shelter and take cover. It's dangerous out there, more so than usual.Now back to the soothing sounds of the apocalypse." And the crappy calm music comes back on. Doc shuffles the cards again.

"You know after he was so wrong about that chopper, weatherman's a pretty good job for that geek." Murphy comments. We all chuckles slightly.

"Can you teach me how to play?" I ask Murphy. He looks at Doc who shrugs his shoulders.

"Fine, but you gotta pay attention." Murphy tells me.

"Yes sir." I say as I salute him.

"Never think I would ever see Crow listen to Murphy." Garnett Chuckles.

"Once in a life time." I tell him. Addy and Mack then come inside.

"You're up." He says, to switch watches.

"All good?" They nod. 

"Peaceful night." Addy says.

"Your stalker said there's a storm front coming in." Warren tells Addy. Citizen Z may have a light obsession with her. "How is it out there?"

"Cloudy with a chance of zombie." Addy grins.

"Okay, two get some rest." Garnett tells them. 

"You got it." Addy says with a smile. Her and Mack run upstairs for a little sexy time together.The leaders go on watch outside even though its and electric fence, just for precaution. . I watch Murphy. He starts to explain and I get it pretty fast. We play a round and the pot was big. Doc was the first to show his cards. It was a straight, which was Ace through Five but not all the same suit. Murphy had three of a kind with Kings. I had A royal flush, which was Ace through ten all the same suit.

"Damn kiddo, how did you do that." Doc asks, Murphy was shocked as well. 

"I studied they way you hold your cards". I say as I grab my pot of drugs. "How you grip them depending on your hand."

"Well look at miss smarty pants here." Murphy says. In the corner of my eye, I see movement. I turn and 10k got up to go to Cas, she was asleep. However the blanket was almost completely off her. He gets on his knees and pulls the blanket up. But due to reflexes, she almost stabs him in the hand. 

"The.....Blanket....I was just....sorry." 10k said. She pulled out the blade and went back to sleep. 10k looks at me with confusion then goes back to his spot. Me, Doc and Murphy look at each other. Murphy widens his eyes lightly.

"Scared of that one." He mumbles about Cassandra. He then continues to shuffle.

"Best not to mess." Doc says.

"You know, if we breed those two, it'd be all over for the zombies." Murphy says. We all start to laugh.

"You have no Idea." I grin. "It would be one bad ass machine."

"Hey, at least we got you and the little one." Doc says. Referring to my "condition" as we like to say.

"Nah, their gonna be like Murphy, skittish and great a poker." I joke. We hear thunder in the distance, but no one really takes it seriously.

"God could you imagine another Murphy running around here?" Doc says. Murphy shivers.

"God no." Murphy states.

"If the world wasn't like this, would you want kids?" I ask him. He shrugs.

"They cry to much, but maybe." He says. This was the Murphy I enjoyed, one I could actually speak to. One I could speak on a level of respect. The thunder got worse. I jumped once, and earned laughing from Doc and Murphy. I was kicking their asses however in this game. I had all the drugs, which I would give to Doc anyway. It was more of the fun that I wanted. Then we heard gun shots, which were never good. Warren and Garnett came running in. 

"Puppies and Kittens! Time to go!" She shouted. I took my drugs an pushed to Doc. I got up and grabbed my bow and quiver that was resting on the island. "Everybody out the Back!" Murphy and Doc got all the stuff together, Addy and Mack came running down the stairs. Cassandra threw off the blanket and 10k put his gear on and grab his rifle. We all ran out the back door and into the car. So much for a place to stay.