Chapter Four: Why Jeff

I was in the truck, riding with everyone. Machete and White boy were driving a big military truck. No I haven't learned anyones names except for Addy. I learned hers back while we were watching. She was blowing through zombies as we floor down the bridge. We followed behind her, running over what she left us. We weren't as durable as her. So we bounced a lot. 10k helped me stay in the truck since we were standing on the bed. Addy and Blondie were infront of us. Me and 10k kept getting splattered by zombie crap, but it wasn't like we weren't use to it. After the great bridge plowing, we rode down the highway. My brother and I held out rifles, just in case. The big truck then pulls over and slows down, so we follow. First one out was Machete. she talked to Addy then gave her a high five, then head towards us. Our Car was smoking, literally. Santa came out to examine. 

"All right, so it looks like you got a flat." Machete said while kicking the tire. Santa went into the back and grabbed a car jack.

"Heads up. We got company." Blondie says. Two bikes head our way. I get off the truck and go behind it. I didn't wanna see anyone that I knew. Everyone waited outside the cars for them to pass. Except new girl, she came by me. I saw the look on her face. It was the same I had. I put my hand on her knee and she looked at me. I nodded tell her I get it.

"That's right keep rolling and we all live to see another day." I hear Machete say. I peak to see and my heart stop and I fall to the ground. It was Travis. New girl looks at me and sees the fear, she knew. I wiped my tears away and put my finer to my lip, telling her not to say anything. 

"All right lets do this quick." Machete says. As they work on the tire, I go next to 10k. I never wanted to be too far.

"You guys siblings?" Addy asks me. I look at the ground and nod. Then we hear snarling. I look and where the tire should be, a zombie is inside. Its insides like putty and its body crushed into the frame of the car. I despritaliy tried to move, but noting. Just pulsating up and down. 

"Well that explains the pull to the left." Santa comments.

"What are you waiting for? Kill it! Kill it!" Skittish yells as he moves away. i take my bow and put and arrow in it's head. I get a look from everyone, but ignore it and just take out my arrow, cleaning the sliver point. They all walk down the road a little, but I stay back and yank the zombie out of the car. I'm not one for sentimental things. They were saying good bye to New York. That was ridiculous. It was a piece of the world that was dying. No more, no less. We all headed back to the truck, leaving Addy's and the military car behind. It was cramped but not horrible. WE found a mall filled with cars.  We were in New Jersey now.

"All these cars...." White Boy started.

"But not a drop of gas." Machete finished. Me and 10k were searching everything. For Gas, food, weapons, clothes....that is how we have survived these years. Santa was checking out a red car and we were next to him. 10k puts in the tube and get red to inhale for gas. Santa was examining the inside of his car. 

"So What are your names kids?" Santa asks. I look at 10k to say something first.

"Ten Thousand." He says.Santa looks at us weird and chuckles.

"That is not a name. That's a number." He states with a smile. 

"It's my name. Made it up Myself." He looks at me and I look at him. I remember the day we changed our names too damn well. 

"Well I suppose you'd have to. Does it mean anything?" He asks.

"How Many Zombies I'm gonna kill." 10k says. 

"That's a whole lot of zombies."

"But I'm gonna kill more." I say giving him a weak smile. My number was higher than his. 

"Already on 1,055." 10k says.

"Damn! And you?" He asks me. A grin spreads across my face.

"1097."

"God Damn. So what happens when you get to 10,000?" He asks my brother. 

"Change my name." He says not chalontly. 

"To What? Twenty Thousand?" Santa laughs.

"Jeff." 10k says and walks away. Santa looks at me with a strangle look.

"What about you darling? What's your name?"

"Crow." I say softly, wishing my brother was here.

"AS in the Bird? That real or like your brother's?"

"I made it."

"Why Crow? You seem more like a Phoenix or a Raven." He chuckles. 

"A crow is surrounded by Death, just like me." I say and head towards my brother. He was looking at another car, Santa following me.

"So Why Jeff?" Santa asks. 

"I like the name Jeff." As he stares at a Z inside a car. It growls at him. "Oh Shut up." He says and stabs the Z in the head. I chuckle at Santa's face. That's when I heard yelling. I ran over with my boy and saw who they were talking to.

Travis.