Chapter Thirty Three: Catching Eyes

We enter the Fu-Bar, and the sent of moonshine is strong. People who are worn out and just need a break sat at the old birch benches and tables. Warren was there at the bar and Murphy was in the corner. He came over to us.

"Hey, You got to do something about her." Murphy says while looking at Warren. She was drinking glasses with no stopping. "I'm not waiting for anybody."

"I know Murphy, Keep your shorts on." Doc tells him. "Have you seen a guy in here named Wannamaker?"

"What, are we making friends now? Look where that got us." Murphy snorts as he glances at my swollen belly. Doc shook his head and looked around, Cass followed behind him followed by me and 10k.

"Anybody know anybody in here named Wannamaker?" Doc announced. I pinched the bride of my nose and sighed.

"Who wants to know?" The bar tender asked.

"Oh, we're just lookin' to trade. You know just a little business." Doc explained. "Yeah, my friend said he might have a vehicle."

"Yeah. Wannamaker's got cars." Te bar tender tells us.

"Do you know where he is?" The bar tender looks to the left of us, where there are a bunch of drunk passed out idiots. "Um, Hey! Uh Hello!"

"He's not gonna wake up." A man in a nice jacket tells us. "Once Wannamaker's down, he's down. Check back in forty eight hours."

"Well what about you?" Doc asks with hope. "You look like a car man."

"I don't drive cars." He states. "I drive Machines."

"Any, uh, any machine you'd be willing to let go of?" Doc asks him.  He shrugs.

"Depends." He glances at me and Cass. "What do you got to trade?"

Cass gives him the finger, making me laugh and clutch my stomach.

"Don't worry, Darlin'. You're not worth it." He says to Cass then looks at me. "And you are already tainted goods."

"Asshole." I mumble.

"Ain't nothing as sweet as the Formanmobile."

"What about that 50 caliber first prize?" Doc asks.

"Ha! Even if you do win, and that's a big if, the Formanmobile is not for sale. Bio-deisel, solar-powered, Quiet as they come. Kitchen, Bathroom, Fully regentive internal plumbing system complete with marine grade PEX fittings. Built in, we got a NSV machine gun, flame thrower, cattle gun, grenade launcher, doom whistle, plus the usual wheel spikes, all that. Look at me tesin' ya." He scoffs. "Ain't no way you're getting your hands on my baby."

"Even if it was to protect some else's?" Doc asked with high hope. They all glance at me.

"Pushh no."

"Okay well." Doc turns to us and we begin to walk away. "He's drunk. Let's go get you signed up, kid."

 "You okay?" 10k whispers to me as we walk out.

"Didn't like being put on the spot again." I mumble.

"Let's hope they'll take a busted up truck for the entrance fee." Doc tells us as we get in line.

A girl my age passes by us. She had tan skin and long dark brown hair in a ponytail. She wore shorts with a dark blue top covered by a red and black flannel. She stares my brother up and down then walks away. 10k turns to watch the girl walk away. We chuckle and move him forward in line.

"Don't do what I did." I whisper to him, making him blush.

============================================

We stood in the crowd at the as the Sketchy and Skeezy began talking about the Shooting Show. They stood inside the white box truck with a paint Anti-Z logo. Sketchy was using a cone as an air horn. I stood next to Cass as they explained.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, It's that moment you've all been waiting for. It's shooting time." The crowd cheered and clapped, some were too focused to cheer. Men raised their guns in the air and we all began to move to the spot. Doc tapped 10k on the shoulder for support.  As we moved, 10k moved up to go talk to the girl from the line.

"He's trying so hard." I giggle to Cass as the girl brushes him off. 

"Just a little." Cass chuckled

"Shooters! Please hit your marks on the designated firing line!" Sketchy announced as Doc pulled 10k away from the girl to the line. Doc got his Rifle and handed it to him as he got ready. There had to be at least 24 people on this line. But no one could beat 10k.

"All right, this first round takes place 100 yards out." Sketchy says. "When I announced the target Z, you aim. When I say fire, you shoot. If you miss, you're out." Doc was rubbing 10k shoulders while he explained it. I pulled Doc away and shook my head. 10k need to focus and Doc wasn't helping.

"This is sudden death, people. Cuz there ain't no other way these days." Sketchy grins. I lean over to Cass.

"How long you think he has been practicing that one?" I ask with a smile.

"Much longer than it should." Cass says back, making us both laugh.

"Skeezy over here's gonna be judge." Sketchy tells everyone. Great, a meth head to judge, what could go wrong? "And what the judge says is final. Yeah? Last man standing gets the 50!" He punches the roof of the truck and the noise echoes. The gun sits at the top of the roof, bathing in the sun with all its glory.

"You are staring at that thing like its a muscular guy." Cass says, "Stop drooling."

"Once you ask 10k out." I smirk. Her eyes widen and her face becomes bright red. I start to laugh and Doc looks at us weird.

"Hey! Tell them what second place gets them, Vernon!"

"Set of Steak Knives!" Skeezy says. His skinniness and smile gives me chills of creepiness. Doc goes back over to 10k and rubs his shoulders again.

"You're a shoe-in , kid." He whispers and backs away. I come over and kiss his cheek.

"Just so you know, If you win that gun I will steal it from you." He smiles and shakes his head.

Then the Shooting begins.

++++++++++++++++++++

I am so sorry I have not updated in the longest time.

I suck I'm sorry.

Here a chapter and I will probably update more today.

Thanks for the reads and votes. You are all awesome.