Gone and Sleepless Nights

Chapter 24

<Beckham O'Halloran>

"So, today we have the finalists of Battle of the Bands with us in the studio." Jesse Freedom says the Friday before we're set to perform for the finale.

Both mine and Hendrix's bands are seated in a stuffy radio studio in Los Angeles, waiting for Jesse Freedom to start interviewing us about being in the finale. So far, he's been playing songs from our past performances and promising an interview to come before going to every commercial break. I know he's trying to build anticipation, but being stuck in a stuffy room with eight other people isn't doing anything for my mental state.

"Okay, while we wait for your questions to come in, I'll start with a few of my own." Jesse Freedom smiles at us, pulling the microphone close to his face. "The obvious: how does it feel to be in the finale?"

He looks at me and then at Hendrix with an expectant gleam in his eyes.

"After our performance last weekend, we could never imagine being in the finale." I say, patting Antebellum's leg. "We didn't think we'd even make it through."

"But you guys had a guardian angel." Jesse presses with a smile.

"Without him, we would've crashed and burned." I say, looking at Hendrix for a brief second before turning back to Jesse.

"Don't give me all the credit; Beckham got through because her band is talented. I just helped her get back on her feet." Hendrix says in a final tone as if he really doesn't want this to be all about him.

"Well, Hendrix, how did it feel for your band to get into the finale? You guys also had a close call last week. How did it feel to be in the bottom?"

"It felt awful," He begins, but is interrupted by Jesse.

"I'm sure it did after all you did to help out Falling Daisies."

"That's not it; I'd go back and do it all again to help out a friend. It felt awful because you work so hard to get to this point and then one result makes it all unravel, but we got a second chance and that's going to make us work that much harder, so the finale will be a show to remember." Hendrix crosses his arms, challenging Jesse to try and start drama.

"Okay then, let's take some fan questions." Jesse says, clicking on the screen of his computer. "Hey, you're on with Jesse Freedom and the Battle of the Bands contestants; what's your question?"

"What kind of work goes into putting on a show like the ones you guys do every Saturday?"

"Well, we have to pick our songs and get them approved before we can even begin thinking about our performances." Hendrix begins.

"Then we spend much of the next few days practicing, driving ourselves crazy with worry about what's going to happen on Saturday." I continue for him with a small laugh. "Friday is a dress rehearsal for the TV crew and then we perform on Saturday. We're actually not allowed to practice on Saturday, so we spend a lot of time pacing and praying that things go okay."

"Not all of us are pacers, Beckham." Hendrix says playfully. "Some of us find it in ourselves to relax a little."

"Next question." I reply, ignoring Hendrix's flirtatious tone.

"What's going on between you two?" Jesse asks before clicking on his computer screen again. "You're on with Jesse Freedom and the Battle of the bands contestants."

Nothing until Delilah is out of the equation.

~~~~~

"Okay, to end the show, the two bands have agreed to perform a song for you guys. Take it away." He says, pointing to us.