A Party Song and a One-Time Opportunity

Chapter 10

<Beckham O'Halloran>

"Beckham, he was flirting with you." Antebellum says as I walk over to join her.

"He was drunk; there's a difference." I roll my eyes and grab an unopened bottle of water.

"Not drunk enough to forget you." She fires back with a smirk.

"He will be by the end of the night." I wink and take a seat by the fire.

"There's not enough alcohol in the world to make him forget you." Antebellum elbows me hard in the ribs.

"You should take that up with Jose Cuevro."

She's delusional.

I look over and see Hendrix crank the stereo up, he and his friends screaming the lyrics to an All Time Low song.

"I took a walk for the first time on the dark side of the dance floor. Lit a match just to heat things up, but I got more than I bargained for. Mixed drinks, mixed feelings of elation. I should have known it was a one night invitation."

The rest of the crowd joins in, everyone dancing and getting drunk on whatever is in their cups. Antebellum pulls me up, the two of us shouting along with Hendrix and dancing until the song ends. Someone hands out sparklers in the darkness, the entire night lighting up thanks to the fire and the twinkling lights of the sparklers in our hands. Hendrix walks towards me with a grin. Antebellum pushes me forward and then walks off with Morley.

"Glad school is over with?" He asks playfully.

"I guess, but now we have Battle of the Bands to focus on." I say, brandishing my sparkler like a weapon.

"You really think that'll scare me?" He asks, raising his eyebrows amusedly.

"I was hoping it would." I mutter sheepishly.

"You were way off base, Princesa." He replies and begins to chase me.

I squeal and run through the grass, farther and farther away from him. He eventually catches up, though, grabbing me around the waist. I scream a little and then dissolve into laughter.

"Hendrix, let go." I whisper, but he just tightens his grip.

"Never in your wildest dreams." His breath fans my cheek and sends chills down my spine.

Why does he have such an effect on me?

"Hendrix," I twist around in his grip, so I'm facing him.

His hair is messed up naturally and his eyes are gleaming, no doubt from how much this is amusing him.

"What, Beckham?" The way he says my name is sweet, a trace of humor laced in his voice.

I lean in close to his ear with a smile.

"Let go or I'll slit your throat with my fingernails." I wiggle my eyebrows as he releases me.

"I should've seen that coming." He sighs.

He looks like he's about to start walking back to the party, but then he squats down and grabs my legs, throwing me over his shoulder. I beat on his back, but he doesn't put me down.

"Hendrix, please." I whine as he continues walking back towards the party.

"Well, since you're begging." He makes a move like he's going to put me down, but then he tightens his grip and keeps on walking.