Hit Me With Your Best Shot and Late Night Nerf Battles

Chapter 18

<Beckham O'Halloran>

"That's the end of our first Battle of the Bands concert." Delilah says to the cheering crowd after Hendrix's band exits the stage.

For the first verse of my performance, I was surprised that I didn't pass out, but somehow I got through the first song and the next two were like a breeze. Now comes the most nerve-wracking part of the night: voting. I draw in a few deep breaths as the stagehand directs all of the bands back on stage. A spotlight shines on each band as Delilah announces our names again for the audience.

 I wave to the fans as the spotlight glosses over us, their cheers increasing. When the spotlight lands on Hendrix's band, I momentarily lose my ability to hear; it's like every person in the arena decided to scream as loud as they could. Delilah looks flustered and is shaking her ear to try and bring back her hearing. It's a fruitless effort.

"Okay, guys, I get it; you love them." Delilah says sarcastically, forcing a smile. "Now, for tonight's voting method..."

The audience erupts into cheers again and Delilah rubs her temple, waiting for them to quiet down.

"For those of you in the audience, as you exit for the two-hour intermission there will be fifteen jars on a table outside. All I ask that you do is place your ticket into the jar for the band you want to keep here. For those of you watching at home, go to the Battle of the Bands homepage and click on the voting link where you will be allowed to place your virtual ticket into a jar for your favorite. Thank y'all so much for watching and we'll be back at eleven for the results."

She waves to the crowd as she follows all of the bands off stage. The house lights come on as the curtains close, sealing us off from the audience and the arena. People talk excitedly about their performances, my friends included, but I'm still too nervous to say more than a few words. Luckily, Delilah silences everyone in order to give us some last minute directions.

"Congrats on completing your very first concert." She says clapping along with a few of the stagehands who are busy clearing off the stage. "Now, you guys aren't allowed out of the backstage area until the results are finished because we don't need you swaying the audience."

She looks directly at Hendrix before continuing her speech. I bet he's thinking 'if you've got it, why not use it?'. I roll my eyes at the thought.

"All of your stuff is outside the stylist's room, bathroom is down the hall and you're due back here at 10:45 for a briefing. Have fun." Delilah says before shooing us away.

I follow Antebellum down the hallway and pick up my backpack where I stuffed my phone and my notebook this morning. I take it out and check my messages; a smile spreads across my lips when I see a few from my mom who had to watch it from home. I call her and she picks up immediately, squealing excitedly into my ear.

"You did so well, sweet pea." She says, her fingers tapping on a keyboard in the background. "I'm goin' online to vote for you right now."

"Thank you so much, mama. I miss you." I smile, sitting down on the ground.

"I miss you too, but you're exactly where you need to be right now." My mom says in a comforting voice as she clicks on her mouse. "There, my virtual ticket is in your jar."

"I love you, mama. I hope you can come see us soon." I exhale and tuck a piece of hair behind my ear.

"I'll be there as soon as I can. I love you too, sweetheart."

"I'll talk to you later." I smile sadly at my sandal-clad feet. Hearing her voice was supposed to make me feel better, not more homesick.

"Love you, baby."