Teenage Dirtbag and Introductions

Chapter 11

<Hendrix Ramone>

This is really happening. I think as I double-check my three duffle bags. They have everything I'm going to need for the next three months: clothes, electronics, notebooks and some surprises. It's a few minutes before Maddox is scheduled to pick me up and I'm standing in the foyer, saying final goodbyes to my parents and Maria. My mom pulls me into a hug and holds me tight, kissing my cheek multiple times as if she thinks she'll never see me again. When she lets go of me, I give my dad a hug and he reciprocates, which is surprising because he's not usually one to show affection. Next I give Maria a hug and she whispers 'good luck' in my ear as I release her. I hear Maddox honk the horn from the driveway. That's my cue to leave.

"Good luck, baby, you'll do great." My mom says as she pulls me in for another tight squeeze.

"We're going to miss you, son." My dad says, his arm wrapped around my mom. "We'll be out to every concert."

"Thanks, I love you guys." I say and wave to them as I grab my stuff.

I manage to cart everything to the van and then Maddox hops out to help me get everything in. I high-five him before walking around to the passenger side of the van and slipping into my rightful shotgun seat. I wave to my parents as Maddox backs out of the driveway and begins driving towards the highway. We all share identical grins as we reach the highway and Maddox floors the accelerator, the revving of the engine matching the adrenaline that's pumping through our veins. I turn up what he's listening to on the radio; currently a radio host is babbling on about something. It isn't until he mentions Battle of the Bands, that my ears perk up.

"Hey, listeners, this is Jesse Freedom coming at you from 102.7 KIIS FM. So, today marks the beginning of a very eventful summer here in California. Yes, folks, it's that time of the year again: Battle of the Bands is commencing for its fifteenth year. Today marks the day that all of the bands will arrive in L.A. with their first concert being in only two weeks."

Damn, that's soon. I think as I sit up straighter in my seat, hooked on every word that Jesse Freedom is saying.

"Here's a song that was sung by one of the fan favorites, Slightly Psychotic, at their audition a few weeks ago; hopefully, it'll get you guys in the mood. This is Love Drunk by Boys like Girls." Jesse Freedom says as the familiar chords come blaring through the speakers.

"Did I just hear what I think I just heard?" I practically shout as the song continues.

"I think one of the biggest radio stations in L.A. just mentioned us." Maddox smirks and holds out his hand for a high-five.

We all exchange a round of high-fives before screaming along with the rest of the song.

"I used to be love drunk, but now I'm hung over. I'll love you forever, forever is over. We used to kiss all night, now it's just a bar fight. So don't call me crying. Say hello to goodbye. Cause just one sip would make me sick. I used to be love drunk but now I'm hung over. I'll love you forever, but now it's over."

~~~~~

We arrive at the hotel in L.A. after an hour of driving. Maddox tosses the keys to the valet and we all grab our stuff before following the signs to a ballroom where the Battle of the Bands contestants were told to wait. The room is filled with excited faces, the atmosphere elated with hope for almost recognized dreams.

We walk over to the sign-in table where people dressed in black are rushing around with clipboards and headsets, much like the people at our audition. Someone crosses our names off the list and we're handed tags for our luggage and lanyards with our band name printed on them. We're told to hang tight while they get the rest of the bands signed in. After everyone has arrived, a girl in a black dress stands up on a makeshift stage in front of us. She sticks a pencil in the purple bun on top of her head and accepts a microphone from one of her colleagues.