You and Me and a Charity Show

Chapter 21

<Hendrix Ramone>

We're deep into August with eleven shows behind us; each performance getting progressively easier thanks to mounting experience. Friends have come and gone; the competition dwindling, but the stakes increasing at an alarming rate. Each week, we have to step up our game if we want a spot in the next concert. Luckily, Slightly Psychotic's popularity hasn't waned; we continue to top the votes every week, but I'm still left wondering if we'll slip up one week and be sent home. I know it'll only screw me up to think that way, but the pressure is becoming almost unbearable and I'm just praying I don't get caught up in it.

"Well, you guys have made it." Delilah says excitedly from the stage, clapping her hands together. "There are just two shows left in the whole competition."

The calm before the storm; that's what I've decided to call this weekend's show. It's the last show before the finale, the last chance we have to make an impression on these people before the real storm comes, before the stakes are raised to their breaking point. I could argue that the voting results every week prove that we've already made a mark, but I'm too smart to think that every week will go the same.

Now, there's only three bands left in the competition: mine, Beckham's and a band called Aimless. Aimless are the underdogs, my band has been deemed the front-runner, leaving Beckham's band caught somewhere in the middle. Everyone looks at each other suspiciously as if even talking to the other contestants will somehow guarantee elimination. There's no time left for flirting or dumb games; it's practice every day and if we aren't practicing, then we're thinking about what could happen on Saturday.

It's not like the beginning of the competition when everyone could relax enough to be friends. People had time to have a conversation, to joke around and release some of the tension before Saturday. Now, people wake up, go to breakfast in silence and then disappear for the rest of the day to practice with their own band. The ballroom where Delilah hosts meetings has become lofty and silent; nobody cheers or makes any sort of noise. Instead, they patiently wait for her to finish talking so they can leave and practice again. Delilah's noticed the tension too, but there isn't much she can do about it, so she does her best to ignore it.

"Wow, great crowd today." Delilah says sarcastically and like usual, nobody responds. "You guys were much more fun a few rounds ago."

She sighs, looking out on the thirteen contestants that are left in the room.

"Should've kept that band of hippies around." I wink and receive glares from my fellow contestants.

Only Beckham gives me a small smile before turning back to face Delilah. Delilah, on the other hand, looks ecstatic that somebody is finally breaking the overbearing silence of the room.

"Y'all really need to loosen up; you're not doing yourselves any favors selling your sanity to the music business." I smirk, ignoring the heated glares from the Aimless guys sitting in front of me.

"Shut the hell up." One of them mumbles, rolling his dark eyes. "We just want to practice; not all of us have our looks to count on."

"What did you say to me?" I say clearly, the gleam leaving my eyes.

"I said not all of us have our looks to count on." The guy stands up, prompting me to do the same.

"Say that again, I dare you." I hiss, my eyes narrowing.

He's about to say it again when I lunge for him. I'm about to tackle him to the ground when my friends grab me, yanking me back roughly. The other guy backs away, my eyes following him all the way to the other side of the room.